Chapter 6.1

** I got three updates completely written on my trip, but I'm not uploading them all at once. This is the first half of chapter 6, I will be uploading the second half in..maybe 12 hours? Possibly sooner depending on the views/vote count. Then I will wait a day and do the same with the next chapter and so on...**

July 15, 2014

All desire for sleep is immediately forgotten, as Karlie's eyes shoot open at the announcement of Josh calling. She's knows she must look as shocked as she feels, which surely is a good thing when an ex-boyfriend is unexpectedly calling in the presence of a current girlfriend.

"Have you guys been talking?" Taylor asks, the phone's ringtone still bouncing off the walls, the sound not one made for this early morning.

"No, I don't know why he'd be calling. What time is it?" Karlie asks, tentatively reaching a hand out, requesting to be handed her iPhone.

When the last ring has been silenced, Taylor hands the phone over, the bedroom quiet once more.

Karlie takes the phone and glances down at the screen. Two missed calls from Josh, a little before 7AM. Karlie looks up at Taylor, and knows she is doing her best to shield her blue eyes from projecting the suspicion she surely feels.

"I didn't even know he called you a couple of days ago. I never would have known unless Tree asked about it," Taylor says.

Karlie internalizes a sigh, wondering just how much she would have to discuss Josh with Taylor, knowing she avoided a lot of it during their earlier argument.

"I honestly forgot he even called. It was a five minute phone call and it wasn't even about—"

Karlie's phone is ringing once more, Josh's contact name lighting up the screen.

"Taylor, I don't know what he wants," Karlie says in way of apology, as she quickly pulls at the bed's sheet to wrap around her. She feels Taylor's stare on her as she quickly retreats to the bathroom and closes the door behind her before answering, "Hello?"

"Karlie? I'm sorry it's so early, it's sort of an emergency," Josh answers quickly, sounding relieved.

"What's going on?" Karlie asks.

"I need to get my passport renewed and I've been searching everywhere for my birth certificate and haven't been able to find it. But I realized it must be in my old briefcase, and I think it might be in your apartment," Josh replies.

Karlie knows exactly what he's talking about. She bought him a new leather-bound and monogrammed briefcase for his birthday, and his old was left behind. She had stored it in the far corner of her closet the morning he left for work. "Right, I know where it is."

"Thank God. I just hope it's in there too. I'm sorry I'm rushing you, but I'm scared if I don't renew it today I won't get it updated in time to travel to a meeting. Can I swing by before you leave for the gym this morning just to grab it?" Josh asks.

"Ummm.." Karlie answers, trying to quickly think of a solution, as she's caught off guard by the reminder of just how well her long-term ex would know her schedule. I'm at my new girlfriend's apartment actually, so no. "Yeah, sure."

"I'll be there at 7:30 so you can get to the gym in time at 8," Josh replies.

"Sounds good," Karlie answers. When Josh has hangs up, Karlie returns back to the bedroom. "He needs to pick up stuff he left at my apartment from a while ago," Karlie says quickly, before Taylor can even ask.

"Oh," Taylor replies shortly.

"And now I have exactly half an hour to get ready and be back at my apartment before he gets there," Karlie answers.