Chapter 8 - Lady Lilith

A month swiftly flew by for Elizabeth while she recovered from being infected with Blake wood. A persistent high fever had kept her bedridden most days, and even when the fever subsided, her leg remained weak, restricting her to the bed or a few cautious steps within the room before her leg gave way.

During that period, the Duke paid her frequent visits, dropping by nearly daily to check on her well-being, asking how she was or how he could make her more comfortable. He was fairly reserved when he visited as he still silently blamed himself for her current situation.

Only after the fever had completely subsided and they engaged in the occasional game did the Duke's true personality emerge again. He came alive as they played, and Elizabeth sadly continued to suffer spectacular defeats game after game—though she didn't mind as it was only practice for her.

As time passed, Elizabeth's perception of the Duke began to shift. She began to think that he wasn't the monstrous figure that most people had painted him to be. However, she still found him bizarre and far more unhinged than the few nobles she had encountered over the years.

After another week of recovery, Elizabeth's leg had healed enough for her to walk independently again. Filled with joy and eagerness to celebrate, Grace summoned a larger group of maids than before to assist in dressing Elizabeth.

However, this time, Elizabeth managed to restrain her bursting enthusiasm. Though a bit disheartened, Grace understood and dismissed the maids, leaving only one particular dress neatly spread out on the bed.

Elizabeth had planned to stick to her usual clothes once she got better, but her gaze was repeatedly drawn to the light blue and white dress that Grace had kept. It was different from the one she had worn a month ago, and with a gentle push from Grace, Elizabeth gave into the idea of at least trying it on.

"How does it feel, my Lady?" Grace asked, stepping aside to let Elizabeth look at herself in the mirror.

"It's...light," Elizabeth responded, her eyes sparkling as she spun around to fully appreciate the dress. "And it's...beautiful."

"Yes, the Duke personally selected this one. He figured you'd be more comfortable in lighter woven fabric as it grants greater freedom of movement, yet it still keeps you warm in the cold," Grace explained, admiring the dress beside Elizabeth.

"D-Did the Duke choose the last dress I wore?" Elizabeth asked.

"No, that was my choice. Actually, this dress was the one the Duke picked out for that day."

"I see..."

Elizabeth adored the dress Grace selected. She wouldn't have changed a thing about it...but the one the Duke chose felt remarkably natural. It was almost as if the Duke knew what she liked even before she did. That thought left her with a warm and unfamiliar feeling, making Elizabeth swiftly change the subject by asking Grace if she could leave the room.

"Of course!" Grace said. "You've been confined to your room this whole time. I haven't had the chance to even show you around. Let's go!"

Grace led the way, pointing out various rooms: from a grand library, the room where Elizabeth and the Duke had eaten previously, an office he uses on the same floor, a spacious bathroom that resembled more a luxurious indoor pool than any usual bathroom, and the view of the central courtyard from the fourth floor.

The floor layout left Elizabeth somewhat confused, and she feared getting lost, but Grace assured her that any maid would help her if that happened. They took a moment to stop as Elizabeth's leg grew tired, and she gazed out of a window into the central courtyard that was remarkably free of snow despite having no roof.