Chapter 21 - A Sweet Lemon

"Elizabeth..." Lilith's voice drifted through the haze enveloping Elizabeth's mind, making her sound distant. "Can you hear me? Please don't make me do this...I'll do it! No, I can't... Elizabeth! Alright...I'm doing it...it's for your own good. Please, don't be mad or counter me—"

Elizabeth's mind returned to her, and she found herself on the floor, her hand rubbing her right cheek, throbbing with a burning pain that only slightly surpassed the rest of her face. Confusion clouded her mind as she took in her surroundings, realizing she was outside her bedroom. She couldn't recall walking there. Her memories were all fragmented after the Duke's kiss—'

"Did he..." Elizabeth's voice quivered, barely audible.

"Yes," Lilith confirmed with a nod, understanding her unspoken question.

"And then he...he just walked away? Like it was normal..." Elizabeth's words trailed off, her body curling into itself protectively.

"Also, yes..." Lilith affirmed with another nod.

"Why?" Elizabeth's voice rose as she did, her thoughts spiraling. "Has he done that before? He's a Duke! Such behavior is improper—especially for a Duke. A-And why me? Simply because I was nearby? Why was he so casual about it? Does the Blood Moon typically provoke such actions in him? And..." Elizabeth halted, swallowing her query about the unusual warmth that had enveloped her.

Lilith gently grabbed Elizabeth's shoulder and guided her to calmness. Her breaths were uneven, and her complexion had paled from panic. It took some time, but Lilith's adeptness at soothing troubled minds proved effective again. She had seen many girls respond just like Elizabeth once they'd experienced it for the first time...lust.

"I'm just thinking aloud, so if anyone overhears, it's not on me!" Lilith began, momentarily puzzling Elizabeth. "The Blood Moon affects the Duke's mind, yes...but even so, he wouldn't act that way. He's...a big prude, okay! His first real kiss will likely be at the altar. So, has he behaved this way before? No! Because he's never even shown the slightest interest until..."

Lilith's gaze shifted down to Elizabeth, uncertain if her words were even registering with her as she could almost see smoke coming from her ears. Lilith sighed—they're just two big babies, I swear—she thought before shaking Elizabeth back into reality.

"Don't think about it anymore tonight, Elizabeth," Lilith said in a maternal tone. "I know it's hard, but try to let your mind rest for now. Go to sleep, and you can deal with it tomorrow with a fresh mind."

Elizabeth nodded, attempting to push her mind past it, but the warmth lingering on her forehead from the Duke's kiss refused to fade. Thankfully, Elizabeth wasn't left to wrestle with her thoughts alone. The door to her room opened, revealing Celestia in pink pajamas, clutching a stuffed bear and rubbing her sleepy eyes. Mid-yawn, her gaze landed on Elizabeth, instantly dispelling her drowsiness as she hurried to her side.

"Elizabeth!" Celestia's voice rang out with runaway joy as she hugged Elizabeth tightly. "Oh, hi, Mama," she added, her initial enthusiasm waning, causing a flicker of irritation in Lilith's eyes that she wasn't greeted as warmly. "Where were you, Elizabeth? I waited so long I almost fell asleep before you!"

"Lemon, what exactly do you think you're doing here?" Lilith's voice held a scolding note as she knelt at Celestia's eye level. "We're about to go into lockdown, sweetheart. I need to take you back to your room before it becomes difficult to move around—"

"No!" Celestia protested, clinging to Elizabeth's leg as if her life depended on it. "I have to stay here! Nana told me I had to be with Elizabeth tonight. She warned that Elizabeth will have nightmares, and Sir Bearington and I must stand guard by her side!"