Chapter 16 - Combat Test

The Duke's gaze remained fixed on the majestic creature gracefully soaring within the coliseum's rafters. An unbreakable spell sealed its only escape route, a seal even beyond the Duke's powers to break. Yet, an intense desire welled up within him to try—to witness the rare and magnificent creature soar freely high into the sky—to witness true power.

However, his enchantment over the beast was abruptly shattered by a resounding roar that thundered through the coliseum. The jolt of reality forcefully pulled him back, reminding him that despite its grandeur and prestige, this was still a creature—an untamed and formidable beast capable of mindless destruction.

Summoning a sword into his hand, the Duke felt regretful, acknowledging that he had to cut Leah's test short once again—and fail her. But, such a beast could not be contracted by a mere summoner. Only a single type of mage from a bygone era possessed the ability to control such creatures. And Leah wasn't one of them...right?

"You can speak?" Leah questioned, her eyes fixed on the Elder Dragon circling above, causing the Duke to pause in confusion. "No, it's just that most monsters—"

The Elder Dragon roared more fiercely, causing the arena floor to crack from the shaking. The Duke readied his sword, intending to return it to its world. However, undeterred by the creature's display of power, Leah extended her hand toward the Duke, compelling him to stop again—her focus still unwavering from the Elder Dragon.

"Apologies, Dra—Elder Dragon!" Leah swiftly corrected herself. "I wasn't aware your race could talk. Well, I didn't even know you really existed until now. I'm Leah. May I know your name? Do you do...names?"

The Elder Dragon emitted another roar, but this time, it carried a gentler, more vibrant tone, almost...resembling a chuckle. It descended gracefully, its colossal body extending far beyond the arena's confines as it set its feet in the stands and positioned its face directly in front of Leah—creating an imposing yet strangely private moment with her.

"Obsidian...the Skydancer? Can I call you Obi—why? It sounds cuter!" Leah remarked, eliciting a low roar from the Elder Dragon that seemed like a baffled laugh. "Oh, no, I'm not afraid. I've seen things far more terrifying than you, Obi. And I can recognize kind people when I see them...now."

The Elder Dragon's gaze locked onto Leah, seemingly probing into the depths of her soul—and whatever it discovered prompted what looked like a tear to form in the corner of its eye. Leah extended her hand toward him as he drew closer, and a surge of smoke billowed from his nostrils upon contact with her.

However, that was no ordinary smoke. It swiftly encircled the Elder Dragon and Leah while an intricate pattern of red magic circles began to form. The Duke, well-versed in all things magical, attempted to decipher the spell's purpose but couldn't as it was cast in an unfamiliar language.

The Duke dashed toward the smoke, intent on piercing the veil, only to discover it was as impenetrable as a rock wall. He had initially entertained the idea that, through some miraculous way, the Elder Dragon was permitting Leah to form a contract with him. However, now, a deep uneasiness had settled in the pit of the Duke's stomach.

Infusing more ether into his blade, the Duke amplified the sword's power until blue sparks danced around it. Hoping to shatter the barrier with one hit, he swung just as the magic circles pulsated with energy. A thunderous roar erupted from the smoke, forcing the Duke to his knees while he shielded his ears.

As the roar subsided and the Duke regained his footing, the magic circles flickered and disappeared, revealing the aftermath. Leah was staring at her hand, adorned with a golden and red ring on her index finger. The Duke was taken aback as he recognized the ring—but it was the last piece of undeniable evidence he needed to confirm...he'd misclassified Leah's mage type.