Chapter 9 - A Mischievous Joke

Lilith leaned in again to kiss Elizabeth's hand for a third time, but Elizabeth swiftly withdrew it from her grasp. A sly, mischievous grin crept across Lilith's face as she stood, her height almost matching that of the Duke's as she loomed over Elizabeth.

"My apologies," Lilith said with a chuckle as she settled back into her chair. "I was simply so...captivated that I forgot I'd already graced your hand with a kiss. Do tell, how long have you been staying here?"

"For...a month now," Elizabeth replied, her guard up as high as possible.

"Rat bastard!" she muttered under her breath before swiftly resuming her cheerful demeanor as if those words had never escaped her lips. "I see, so just around the time of my departure from the castle. I apologize for not being here to properly welcome you upon your arrival."

"I don't see why an apology is necessary—"

Lilith jumped onto the bed so suddenly it caused Elizabeth to sit up, her eyes widening as Lilith firmly placed her hands on either side of her on the bed's backboard, effectively blocking any escape.

"I must apologize," Lilith insisted. "Had I known that someone as lovely as yourself would be staying with us so soon, I would have postponed my trip for many days to personally show you...all that we offer."

Elizabeth's cheeks reddened at such a direct compliment delivered so closely to her face. However, her momentary embarrassment faded as she remembered Grace's ominous warning and was replaced with a shiver of dread that crept down her spine.

"Are you going to eat me, Lady Lilith?" Elizabeth questioned.

"Grace..." Lilith said, chuckling softly, "she really needs to work on her wording. You've got it all wrong, but, in a way, I do eat people. Though, only the real lovely ones, like yourself. Oh, and you call me Lilith, Elizabeth. No need for such formalities...among us."

"Because you're going to eat me," Elizabeth asked, staring into her eyes.

"No, well, yes, in a way, if you desire. But really, b—"

Elizabeth, unwilling to become a meal for anyone, like any rational person, grabbed Lilith's arm. In one swift motion, she flipped Lilith over, got on top of Lilith, and hovered her palm right over Lilith's face as a bluff.

"Move, and I'll blast your face with magic!" Elizabeth yelled.

"My dear, if you wanted to be the top, you had only to ask," Lilith quipped with a massive grin.

"What?" Elizabeth asked, puzzled. "Don't move, I mean it, I will—"

"You'll what? Blast me with your non-exciting magic? Your hands aren't fighter hands, let alone hands of a mage, Elizabeth. They are far too soft!"

Lilith promptly turned the tables, flipping Elizabeth and now holding a small dagger close to her neck. She sniffed the air suddenly and repeated the gesture when bringing her face near Elizabeth before pulling back.

"Cinnamon," Lilith remarked. "When someone is even slightly afraid, they start to smell like cinnamon. But you...there's no trace of it. Either my nose is failing me, or..."

"I know it's not a real dagger," Elizabeth said, leaning her neck forward to make it disappear. "But mine is very real...Lady Lilith. So, I suggest you move away before I do something I might...regret."

"Lilith, Elizabeth, no need for you to address me as Lady...and sure enough, it seems I was mistaken about you. Guess you won," Lilith said before glancing to her side.