Chapter 10 - A Dance to Remember

The four of them exited the room. Celestia was on the Duke's shoulder, bombarding him in conversation as she began to talk about various subjects, transitioning seamlessly between them without pausing for a breath. The Duke not only endured it but actively embraced the exchange, responding and sharing quick laughs whenever he got a chance.

From the outside, it truly looked like the Duke was a father and that Celestia really was his daughter. The Duke's unwavering attention to every word she uttered, even as she strung together hundreds of them in a minute, reminded Elizabeth of the kindness Granny had shown her at that age.

Initially, Lilith walked alongside them, but her pace gradually slowed, and she found herself walking beside Elizabeth. A friendly smile was on her face as she subtly gestured toward the Duke with her head while keeping her hands behind her back.

"He's rather skilled at caring for children, wouldn't you agree?" Lilith remarked, her tone suggesting she wanted to say something else.

"I...I suppose so," Elizabeth replied with a smile.

"And it's not just Celestia. All the other little ones adore him."

"Do you have more kids...Lilith?" Elizabeth questioned.

"No-no-no! One is plenty," Lilith chuckled with a smile. "I was referring to the children in the orphanage on the second floor. Haven't you had a chance to meet them? They act like a bunch of monkeys when they meet someone new, so you couldn't have missed them."

"Oh?" Elizabeth's eyes widened with genuine surprise as she had never imagined that a noble's castle could double as an orphanage. "No, I had no idea such a place existed within the castle. Plus, I haven't had much opportunity to explore. I got cut on...Blake wood and had to spend the entire month in bed."

"What? You've got to be kidding me!" Lilith yelled, rushing in front of the Duke and stopping him as she dug her finger into his chest.

Elizabeth stopped walking, stunned by Lilith's brass in chastising the Duke for letting her get hurt, especially considering the potential consequences. In her experience, nobles often exacted harsh punishments for far lesser offenses...and yet, the Duke simply endured Lilith's tirade, and they soon resumed their walk.

"Sorry about that. I just couldn't believe he allowed that to happen," Lilith said, genuinely upset for her. "I'll provide something to help with the scar it left later."

"Oh, no need," Elizabeth replied. "It was a minor cut. It's healed."

"It...healed?" Lilith said, her brow furrowing. "You must have a stronger body than most. Injuries from Blake wood don't typically heal so easily."

"I suppose I do," Elizabeth chuckled. "I've always had a knack for quick healing, though that Blake wood incident did take its toll on me..."

"Papa..." Celestia whispered to the Duke as Elizabeth and Lilith kept talking. "Why was Mama so angry with you?"

"Because I didn't protect Elizabeth from that dangerous weed behind the castle. Remember, it's the one you must always stay far away from," the Duke reminded her. "If you got hurt by it, I don't know what I would do."

"I know, Papa! I already promised to stay away!" Celestia declared, hugging the Duke's head but accidentally poking her arm on his horn.

"Are you alright?" the Duke asked as he came to a halt and gently lowered Celestia to the ground.

"I'm fine. See, no scratch!" Celestia said as the Duke knelt to her level.

"You don't have to worry so much," Lilith yelled as she and Elizabeth caught up. "She's a big girl now. One little scratch won't hurt her. Ain't that right, Lemon!"