Chapter 13 - Home

The Duke quietly left the room as Elizabeth and the children gradually regained their composure. They wiped away the last of their tears and began giggling at each other over their red eyes and puffy faces from all the crying they did, giving way to a massive shared smile.

"So, what exactly happened to you three after I left..." Elizabeth asked, anxious to hear their story.

"A lot...but we're okay now, better even! We're...happy! And that all started because you saved us from the village," Leah smiled, reaching out to touch Elizabeth's hand to comfort her worries.

Leah recounted their experiences at the orphanage—the good, the bad, the ugly, and that which made Elizabeth's blood boil, only calming when they started to laugh as she was told she had responded much like the Duke had.

She kept telling their story, describing how the funding from the Noble ceased. How they were on the brink of separation and being sent to different orphanages when the Duke intervened and brought them all to the castle.

Elizabeth remained mainly composed, save for that momentary outburst—and that of a single tear that fell when Leah referred to the castle as her home. Her voice had no hesitation and starkly contrasted how she only called the place where she grew up as the village.

She was certain they'd been cared for far beyond well here. A realization Elizabeth had already made subconsciously the moment she first saw them, noting their healthier appearance and much better clothing than before—but was now one she could be confident to have.

"How many other children are there? Or are you the only ones who the Duke took in?" Elizabeth questioned, noting but ignoring the odd smile they had.

"No, there's more," Leah said, coughing as she stopped smiling. "We're not even the latest group Lord Blakemore has taken in. I don't have an exact count, but around a third who call this place home are like us—The Unwanted."

"You're not unwanted, Leah!" Elizabeth shouted, prompting Leah to blush. "None of you are! Though I suppose I don't have to tell you that anymore, thanks to this place. B-But I still have to ask...why? I mean, it's bizarre that a Noble open his house, and it even strange that a Duke does...but even more so when—"

"When it's the Duke of Blakemore—the supposed tyrant of the Northern snow? He's not the man the rumors portray him to be. He's...kind. But, as he'd admit, he doesn't do this solely out of kindness—he expects us to work for him for at least four years after we come of age."

"Work? What kind of work?" Elizabeth questioned, her worry evident.

"It's nothing bad! It varies from person to person. Most become maids or butlers to help run and clean the castle, or they enter a trade like a craftsman to fix things around the castle, and others become—"

"Heroes!" the three boys yelled.

"Knights! Some become knights to help ensure the castle is safe as well as the rest of the Dukedom," Leah corrected them. "As you can guess, they've been yearning to become knights since they were told they could be one—even beginning their training early, even over my objections!"

"Well, we can't just let you hog all of Lord Blakemore's attention just because you're special, Leah!" Ethan yelled. "Besides, Lord Blakemore said we could start training whenever we decide! And I need to put these arms he gave me to good use!"

"Yeah, we can't let you surge so far ahead of us! Especially not now that I can keep pace!" Noah chimed in, sporting an unfamiliar grin that caught Elizabeth off guard.

"Now, now, let's not argue in front of Eliz—"

"Shut it, Roy!" Ethan snapped, cutting him off. "You're lumped in with Leah! You're even receiving special training just because you're good at swinging that stick around!"