Chapter Eleven- Reed Garnet

11- Reed Garnet
.
.
.

I was yet to talk to Reed, or make an attempt to even create a proper conversation with him that did not include me diminishing his hope of us being mates—a week has gone by and the only words we have spoken to each other was good mornings then there was the information of the Alpha King's death five days ago, whom had already passed away for up to three days before I had even found out, before Reed had taken it upon himself to inform me.

Nevertheless nothing would have changed if I had found out sooner, I could not bring back the dead.

I met King Darius once, when he was about seventeen years of age, he looked that the current king at that time—King James, I had business with his father so we never spoke we only acknowledged each other presence, but I could never forget the stare he gave me when I was in their presence, there was curiosity but it was embedded in fear, my kind was well feared that time, we were simply something that could not be explained.

The werewolf world must be in array, since he was murdered and the Queen herself was missing, things was getting complicated and I could not scratch the feeling at the back of my throat that those events were somehow related to my own issues.

Reed and I have slept side by side these past few days, with considerable distance between us, one would think we were aiming to fall out of the bed but I was yet to hear a thud—he created much distance between us than I did as if I was a plague he was trying to avoid yet cannot escape from.

There was still no answers, Nadine had even sought for help from other members of The Order while they investigate the World of the Punished Witches, but one thing we discovered was that none of the members of The Order have been able to visit that place, the thing controlling it all was trying to keep them out and secondly the world could not be destroyed or controlled by The Order anymore, there were more unanswered questions than before but the only positive thing was that I had not fallen into the dark world since the first night I collapsed in Nadine's living room and the first night Reed had to sleep by my side, that was the only reason Reed and I was sharing the same space at night, Nadine certainly did not want her house to burn to the ground.

I was not recovering my magic or maybe I was recovering it at a minute speed, I had no idea, Nadine already said there was a possibility that I might be dying but was I truly going to die?, I have not had a moment to myself to really think about my death, this was something I had craved so badly once upon a time, now that it might really be here right in front of  me and I could not help but feel indifferent.

I often wondered how I am able to fall asleep each night, I would spend long hours motionless thinking about the dark world situation but knowing that Reed was right next to me made it different, neither good nor bad, I did not feel uncomfortable around him rather I felt strange, it was unexplainable.

I know Reed was also having difficulty sleeping next to me, most times I would listen to his heartbeat after pondering of all my worries and most of the times, it made me fall asleep, his heart beat had somehow become my lullaby, and it frightened me that I was getting too comfortable with the arrangement, what happens when this all blows up, when we finally get answers and that answers result in him leaving, would I not miss this?, would I not crave this?, he would become something that I have come to need and want but will never have, it would be pitiful and tragic.

This was one of those nights, I was motionless staring at the ceiling and at the yellow dim light bulb counting the beats of my own heart and that of Reed's as well while he was beside me facing the wall but he was awake.

I know I am skeptical about this entire mate bond thing but Reed has helped me a lot, he has saved me countless of times—there was no wrong in knowing some things about him. Maybe if we were not mates, we could be allies or good acquaintances.

"Tell me about yourself?" I bring myself to say, I wait for few seconds but there was no response from him, I sighed—I tried tonight, I guess he really doesn't want to respond. I shut my eyes ready to sleep when I hear his voice, it was low but I heard it.

"What do you want to know?"

I opened my eyes back immediately and turned to the side facing his back, and he surprises me by turning to face me. His eyes held mine and I almost felt breathless, I don't know if it is this bond between us but Reed looked completely breathtaking the moment his eyes engulfs mine.

"Huh—What is your name?" It was the best I could come up with while my eyes and brain were being manipulated by his facial features.

"My name is Reed Garnet" he stared intensely at me as though he was truly trying to look into my soul and unravel the mysteries behind me.

I don't know how this goes, what was I meant to ask next?, I have never been in this type of situation with a male before, most males I have come across treated me formally, there was never a need for personal introductions and engagements, my magic did that for me, I was able to see their lives without asking questions.

"I am twenty-five years old" he added, My eyes widens in realization, I finally understood one of the reasons why he was pushing for this bond, he has gone a long while without getting a mate just like Fia, only that Fia has not been surrounded by male werewolves to get hers. I also see what he was trying to do, he was probably helping me out with trying to know him. "What about you?" He asks

"I am Althea, I have no surname, I never met my father" I revealed swiftly like the words hurt my mouth that I had to say it fast.

His face contoured into sadness, he felt bad for me but I did not want him to, my mother loathed my father for what he did to her, and I do too, there was no need for pity. "You do not have to pity me Reed, my father was an awful man, it is a joy that I do not bear his surname".

Reed heaved a deep sigh "Why are you trying to know me?" He surprises me with that question that I am almost speechless. "I heard the conversation with Nadine on the dinning table that day, I was sitting by the front porch"

"Oh—"

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to" he added.

It felt like I was holding my breath while I gaped at him, then I sat up on the bed releasing a sigh of my own. "You have helped me a lot, it is right for me to know you if I am still unsure about this bond"

"Knowing me would hurt me though" he mutters but I hear him, he sat up as well but he  staring intensely at the wall in front of us, it when me wonder what was going through his head, this was completely strange to him, a week ago we had gotten accustomed to quarrel and bantering at each other to us trying to make a proper conversation, but I could not blame him though, I had been the one instilling fuel into the already hot fire.

"You don't have to indulge me, you don't have to worry, if you don't want me close to you it is quite alright but honestly I am not solely doing this because of Nadine advise or Fia pleas" I breathe "Thank you for your help so far, I am grateful"

"Would it be bad to have me as a mate?" His question came completely knocking the air out of my lungs, I blinked. This was one of those moments I missed my powers, I was curious about what ever goes through his mind but on the other hand I know it would be wrong, Reed was not one of my clients we were closer than that, it would be invasion of his privacy.

"No" that was my simple response.

"We do not have to mate right now, but I want to get to know you, even if this does not end the way I would hope, I would have you as a friend and you can have me as one" He muttered before releasing a sigh of his own.

I simply stared at him unresponsive, Reed seemed like a good man, but his request was difficult for me, there was already had attraction between us, I already see him as a male though I do not accept him as my male, if this attraction goes farther and ends negatively, would I be able to pick up my life once more. These thoughts ran through my mind yet they were never uttered as words instead the only words that came out from my mouth was "sure...., friends"

Author's Note

This is a short chapter and it is kind of boring but I hope you understand.

Also what do you guys think of the book so far?, I have been having mixed feelings but I want to also know your thoughts, please send a comment so we can converse even if it is just a person or two. Thank you for your time.