Chapter 4: Calling of Goodbye

By mid-afternoon I'm feeling much better. I ask permission to go back to the barn and fill up the Jerry cans. Aiden assures me that it's fine; there's more gas in the tank than he can use in a lifetime.

When I finish with the truck I head back inside the back door to find Aiden. Finally I see him on the front balcony, a pair of binoculars held up to his eyes.

"What are you looking at?" I question, curious and anxious.

He looks at me then speaks. "There's a vehicle coming down the road. I can see the dust clouds. It looks like a motor bike."

I quickly run to the truck, grabbing the Glock twenty-two and a round of ammo. As well I collect a short, but sharp, blade. When I head back, Aiden is running towards the figure, hands out wide, ready to give the person a hug. I stand there, confused. Who is that?

The boys come over, "Emma, this is my brother, Trevor." We shake hands. I force a happy expression on my face but inside I'm jealous, because I have no one.

"Why don't we go inside and prepare some food?" Aiden proposes. Trevor nods, his forehead dripping with sweat from the warm weather. The house doesn't have power, so there's no air conditioning. It's boiling inside; sweat beads form at my hairline. I help out the boys in the kitchen. Aiden and Trevor look so happy together. I smile, missing my family but knowing that I will eventually find a new one.

Trevor starts to push up his sleeves, first the right one, then the left; but on his left arm is a bite, red and enflamed. Infection now courses through his veins.

Aiden and I stop and stare. "It's not what it looks like, really," Trevor pleads. Aiden's face remains blank in absolute horror.

"Trevor, why don't you go and grab three of the horses from the back field. We were thinking of doing a trip into town for supplies." I act quick, being casual.

Trevor goes off without a word, too ashamed to admit what had really happened. Maybe he knows how we feel. For a minute, Aiden and I just stare at each other, too stunned to move.

"We have to leave," I finally burst out. "I know it will be cruel and we'll both be full of guilt but he's not safe anymore."

Aiden slowly nods his head; then runs upstairs to grab his things. When he returns, he has a large grey duffel bag swung over his shoulder. He rushes to a cabinet and writes down a note for Trevor.

Trevor, I am so, so very sorry. I know that you just got back, but you aren't safe. You've been bit, infected. I don't want to jeopardize my life or Emma's, so we're leaving. Right now, but I want you to know that I love you and you will forever be in my heart.

He puts down the pen, takes a deep breath, then goes outside to a shed. When he returns, I'm already in the truck. He places a rifle on the dashboard.

I put the car into reverse and back away from the gas tank. "Wait!" Aiden suddenly yells. I stop the car. He looks back at the farmhouse, trying to take mental picture to last forever. For all he knows, this could be the last time he ever sees this place. "Okay, you can go," he exhales, letting go of his home. In the distance I can see the figure of his brother, still tromping out to the stables. He doesn't turn around.

Down the dirt road, a veil of dust shields us from the view of the house. I turn west onto the highway, trying to think of where to go but nowhere springs to mind. Somewhere deserted would be safe but where is a place that no one would think to go?

I drive west, chasing the setting sun and eventually the moon rises and I start to slow the vehicle. The stars shine down on us; the only light available. I don't want to waste energy with the headlights but soon the road becomes too dark and I am forced to pull over.

Throughout the whole car ride, Aiden hasn't said a word, silenced by guilt. I was looking forwards to talking with another human being. For so long I've been alone, and now even though he's here, his mind is elsewhere, with his brother.

"You can take the back," I offer, although my back is screaming at me to selfishly take the seat.

He goes to the back, placing the ample supplies on the floor below. The seat I'm in doesn't slide back. I can't fall asleep. The moonlight is streaming down though the sunroof. I let out a loud sigh, then quickly turn around to make sure I didn't wake Aiden.

"Can't sleep?" He asks through squinting eyes.

I nod, "the light is too bright." I turn my head back to the dash, watching the empty road in front of me go on; then abruptly turning left. "Do you want to come back here?" he asks, "that's sweet," I think, "him giving up the comfy spot for me."

"Okay, thank you," I climb through the space between the two front seats and wait for him to get up. Instead he lifts the blanket, a gesture for me to join him.

For a moment I stay frozen, then I blush, turning away and sliding in next to him. The bench is comfortable, the cushions almost like a mattress. His arm curls around my abdomen, not romantically but friendly, preventing me from sliding off of the seat.

I match my breath to the rise and fall of his chest and begin to relax. It's been so long since I've felt this secure. My eyelids become heavy, my breathing more steady. I listen to my heartbeat and silently fall into a long and deep sleep.