Chapter 19: There's Always Carnage

At first, there's silence, then comes the whispers and then shouting. I drift in and out of the world, my mind cutting in and out like a bad radio connection. My body gradually begins to feel light and airy, escaping from the poisonous wrath of infection. Then, I open my eyes. The light is dim, shadows cast everywhere; the others do not notice my presence.

"We have to leave, staying in one place for too long is dangerous," the voice is Jackson's.

"Well, we can't just leave her, and she's in no condition to be moved, not until she's awake, just like the man said." This voice is Aiden's and Sadie's soon follows in agreement.

"What man?" I say puzzled. I thought the man was a hallucination, an illusion of the mind.

Everyone turns to my direction. "He wouldn't say his name, left with his boy just a few hours ago."

"How old was the boy?" I ask, maybe they're both alive.

"About eleven, why?" It's them and I smile to myself, holding in tears.

"What did the man look like? Brown hair, tan skin and chestnut eyes?" I urge, needing answers.

"Yeah, and just below average height. You know him?" Will says, more of a question than a statement.

"He's my father. At least I think that's who I saw. We need to leave and find them. Where did they say they were going?" I support my body weight with my palm flat against the floor.

"North, to some family cabin. Did you guys have somewhere you used to go?" I nod. We went there for family occasions, Christmas, Thanksgiving and summers. It is a safe haven in the middle of nowhere, about two hours North of Jasper. I can't believe I hadn't thought of it myself.

"We need to go there," I say. The others seem to think this is a good idea and take action by packing the truck. Aiden comes over and helps me stand, my body is weak from malnutrition, and everything else it's been through.

I hobble to the truck and take a moment to peer down at my foot. The strawberry-coloured bruising is gone, replaced by a normal looking appendage. The only remembrance of the awful infection is the pale reflection of a fading scar.

While the others pack up, I munch on a granola bar. At first, my dry mouth sticks to the jumble of ingredients but after a wash of water it's fine.

Fifteen minutes later the car is fully loaded and Aiden drives away. We are in a forest, the trees forming a bridge over our heads. The road twists and turns, like something out of a fairy tale. Eventually the dirt road, carved from tires is replaced with the steady path of asphalt.

The consistency of trees becomes thin, easier to see into the woods. The place is deserted, like no being has been here, ever. I lean my head against the window, wondering what it would be like to finally reunite with my family. I smile, my cheeks hurting with emotion.