Chapter 6: Hallucinative Dreams

My body is unable to move but my mind is awake, taking in all that is happening. "Emma, it'll be okay. There seems to be people outside, taking down the biters!"

I am confused. It's been so long since I've found another group of people. Maybe they'll have a doctor and save me in time. My mind has been made up; I will fight for this world.

There are an overwhelming number of shots, then I hear the door open, "help us!" Aiden yells.

"Has she been bit?" a commanding voice asks.

Aiden replies "no", and then their commander picks me up. "Darryl, get over hear, there's a girl in critical condition."

Aiden is forced to step back, my mind is pleading for him to stay. My neurons can't make the connections and my body stays silent.

I am placed on a hard surface and then I am being transported; I'm probably in a van. "Did the boy, get his truck?" another voice floating into my mind.

"Yup, he did," the original speaker states.

I'm being saved. I will make it out of this mess. A figure sits down next to me as the doctor attempts to save my life. "She's bleeding out," he yells. I force my heart to beat harder, to fill my veins with fresh blood with each pump.

I don't want to do this alone... alone; I am so alone. I order my hand to reach out and grab the hand of the person beside me. Nothing happens, it is cemented in place. Trying again, I put all of my power into the tiny movement. Finally it reaches out and grips into a hand. I feel relief, now they'll know that I'm still hear.

The man beside me holds on. It feels like he's transferring his power into my body, willing me to fight through the injury but then my hearing cuts out, leaving me in a world of utter silence. I hold onto the hand, my last movement. It is the memory that follows me into the dark but then my hand slips out, going limp in the person's hand. "We're losing her! Starting CPR!" My heart is frozen, un-beating. My body stays still, as if I am a statue; then my mind slows down; less thoughts, less imagination, less me. I am fading into a world of dreams, a world of safety but I don't want to leave, not yet. I give one final push of energy and hope that it works and that my heart comes back to lead me on.

***

"Emma, please wake up, please," a familiar voice says. I try and open my eyes. They flutter but stay only half open.

"Emma, are you there?" It's Aiden. he looks like he's sat beside me for days. I will my eyes to open more, but the light is overwhelming.

Finally my eyes adjust to the lighting and I stare up to a bland white ceiling. I try to raise my head, but my neck is stiff and sore.

"Darryl, she's awake," he yells through a closed door. I hear footsteps and an older man rushes in. He is on the taller side, with combed back white hair. His eyes are soft and welcoming. I smile, a tiny one, but still noticeable.

"Yes she is," Darryl says, his voice is joyful. He looks up to the ceiling and says, "thank you," under his breath. My body aches, the wound in my abdomen is tightly wrapped in bandages, like a corset.

"What happened," I regain power over my arms and neck, lifting my head lightly.

"When the car stopped, your body kept moving and the impact against the side sliced into you. You're lucky to be alive." Darryl says gently.

"Where are we?" I ask, suddenly aware of the peaceful environment, "How long was I out?" Aiden looks well fed and healthy, this place must be safe.

"I stabilized a small medical clinic during the attacks. You've been here for three days, nearly four." I gasp, I must've been severely injured, then I remember the sight of my intestines, only being held in by my hands. I begin to gag, Darryl rushes over, but I raise my hand, insisting that I'm alright.

"You should be able to be up and about in two days, but for now, take it easy," Darryl addresses me, then turns to Aiden, "You look after her," Aiden nods his head, proud and loyal.

Once Darryl leaves, I sit up and put my head between my knees, breathing deeply. "Did you get the truck?" I ask, all of my supplies, my life, was in that car, I cannot lose it.

"Yeah, I did. You know, we could stay here for a while, everyone is super friendly and there's plenty of food to go around for everyone," Aiden brings up. I don't want to stay here, with these, strangers. I just need to keep going, if you make too many connections, the harder it is to let go.

"I don't know, I haven't really seen much of it yet, let me take a look around." I suggest then swing my legs off the side of the bed.

"Woah!" Aiden exclaims, raising up his hand in front of me, a barrier.

I push him out of the way and insist that he pass me the crutches in the corner. I place them under my arms and take a step. There's a tiny ebbing from the wound but other than the stiff motion of my muscles, I'm fine. I open the door and proceed down a fully lit hallway. I hear voices around the corner and walk in to find a room full of people, at least one and a half dozen, huddled around a dining table. Each one of them has a full plate of food and a glass of water. There are people ranging from the age of 60, to my age. One little girl stands out, looking to be under the age of 10.

"Hey," I say, not quite sure how to report my presence.

Darryl looks up, and then smiles, announcing to the group, "I told you she was a fighter."