Chapter 13: Enemies of Our Own

It's been almost two more hours. The first one is beginning to turn. The person that was once inside of the brain, is gone; been decayed and mutated by the deadly disease.

There are shouts of terror, people running away, locking themselves in their cars. Eventually it's Aiden, the only one with a clear head, who takes action and shoots directly in the brain.

Following that, another two change resulting in more shooting. A small group takes to burying the dead. It is horrendous.

"You guys, get in the car." I order. They hurry in and buckle up. On the horizon behind us, there's a line of biters appearing, walking down the roadway.

I roll down the window and shout to the others, "You better hurry up and get out of here. Looks like the hoard has followed us!" I put the window up and roll away. Already the swarm is coming onto the group. For a moment, pain fills my chest but then I realize that I am safe, inside the car and driving in the opposite direction.

Dust flies up from the horizon from the constant dragging of the feet of biters. The sky swells up into an angry, grey cloud. Most of the group is silent, staring out at the window, looking back to see if the group had time to flee. They are all entangled together like necklaces at the bottom of a jewelry box.

It's not long after that rain starts to fall, pelting down against the car with hard, metallic splashes. The window washers are constantly waving back and forth against the dash. The mountains are towering far above our heads by the time the sun slips over the horizon.

I take a gravel road to the right, leading us to a river. There's a sign welcoming us to Bill's Sight Seeing. The area appears to be empty. There are no cars lined up in the numerous parking spots just off of the road. By the time we stop, the rain has stopped and the stars are beginning to shine down on us, giving tiny illuminations on the group.

Somehow my mind wanders to all of the other planets. How there are millions out there and yet not one can support life as we know it. For all we know, our world is dying. It sure feels like it. The others arrange the truck so three can sleep inside and the others are forced to stay in the back with all the supplies. Aiden and I volunteer to take first shift in the back. Instead of going to the truck where the rain puddles are still drying out, I clamber up onto the roof and lay on my back, staring at the stars. For once, everything seems peaceful, like we're all on a friendly camping trip.

Reality comes back to me as I feel my gun in my hand. What kind of world forces a fifteen year old to carry a gun around for survival? Aiden joins me, wrapping his hand around mine as we stare at the starlit sky.

I see so many constellations now. With no light pollution from populated cities, the sky is so clear. I can see Ursa Major and Minor. Aiden and I take turns pointing out different star formations and planets. Throughout the contrast of the sky, at different points, I can see Jupiter and Saturn. A while later Aiden points out Venus. This world is so vast; what we know is so little and what is going on is so, insignificant in this vast universe. Compared to everything else, we are smaller than the atoms that make up our world. Then I come back and force myself to think. This world does matter to me. We have done so much and I have to keep it alive.

When I turn my head back to the side, Aiden is staring back at me. I can see the universe in his eyes, shining back at me with possibility. I smile and turn to my side, his hand in mind. "I'm kinda chilly," I say and Aiden kindly offers to get a blanket. I nod my head and wait for him to come back. When he does, he wraps a soft blanket around us. The car roof is hard against my back and it begins to ache. I turn to my side in hopes that the surface will treat it better.

Aiden wraps a gentle arm around my waist, holding me close. Together we share our body heat; even in the warmth of the summer months, the nights still get cool.

Gradually, the goose bumps on my arms and legs fade as the area under the cover heats up. I nestle my head against his chest, allowing myself to let go; let go and focus on him and me, on something that a normal teen should worry about.

*                                         *                                    *

 "Emma," I slam my chest forewords, alarmed. "Emma, I think there's something out there," Aiden points through the pine trees, left of the river. I don't see anything, my eyes still adjusting to the limited lighting. I reach down to

my belt and pull out my gun, loading it slowly. "We need to tell the others," I say and swing my body down, lying over the window. I knock

three times and point into the forest.
Jackson, who is in the front, wakes the

others, who all reach for their weapons. Aiden and I stay low, our bellies up against the cold surface of the car. After what seems like ages, a branch of the pine rustles to the side. My heart slams against chest. I grip against Aiden, fear rushing through my veins. "Haven't we faced enough already?" I think to myself. This world was really turning into a Hell. There was no happiness or security anymore, just havoc.

I hold my gun so that it is aimed just above the movement. Suddenly, there's a rustle to the left and I turn my head too see another branch swaying side to side. Aiden and I look at each other confused. There seemed to be no one here, when out of the darkness comes a rough voice,

"Show yourselves."