Chapter 9: Becoming of Eternity

Darryl orders Stephanie to go get his medical kit ready. "Emma, what happened?" He asks, his voice full of grief.

"The store was infested. She got bit so I amputated in hopes that the infection hadn't spread already. I had to do CPR and insert a chest-tube; her chest was full of blood. She needed a blood transfusion so I started a drip. Will's a universal donor." I retell the horrific details.

Darryl nods in recognition of my courageousness and medical skills. He gets a stretcher outside and we lay Sadie down on the board, carrying her to an emergency room.

Stephanie has supplies all laid out and the light on for visibility. "Emma, this work is excellent considering the circumstances. Where did you learn to do this?" Darryl asks as we transfer Sadie to the bed.

"I don't know. I've just always wanted to be a doctor." I grin, pleased with myself, and for the many hours I dedicated to watching YouTube videos on survival medical skills. I saved her.

"I'll have to stitch up her arm and make sure the infection from the bite is no longer in her system. Why don't you go and clean yourself up," he offers, thinking that the sight will be too much for me to bear.

"No it's fine, I was the one who cut her freaking arm off! I can handle it," I make my voice strong and compassionate.

Darryl takes off the towels; blood pours out onto the floor like sewage pipes into water. Darryl reaches into a cabinet and injects Sadie with some medicine. He says it will slow the bleeding.

I watch as he carefully sews together the flaps of skin, while cutting away at dead and unnecessary bits. He ties off the blood vessels and the bleeding gradually stops. Eventually her arm is a large mass of bumps from the stitches. Darryl gently wraps up the wound in gauze, securing it with a brace. He then hooks her up to a morphine drip for the pain.

When we're all done, I go back to my room, exchanging the blood infused outfit for a fresh cotton tank top and pants. For a brief moment I attempt to brush through my hair but dried blood matts it all together and I angrily pull it into a ponytail.

I go to the dining room to find the rest of the group that went on the mission, sitting around eating. I take a seat beside Will who, in turn, offers me a small plate of pasta. It's plain and stale but better than nothing.

I turn to my watch. The time reads six thirty in the evening. At the top of the screen is the date, June 11, my birthday. How could it have been so long already? It couldn't have been half a year. It feels more like three weeks.

"Everything okay Emma?" Will asks, the look on my face must be contorted in confusion.

"Yeah, it's just, today's my fifteenth birthday." I say and then look down. It is an awful birthday with no gifts, no party and no cake. I wipe away a tear, looking down. Will's hand reaches into mine. It's soft and comforting, and immediately I feel better.

"Today, you saved a life. Isn't that a great feeling? To know that Sadie is still here because of you?" Realization surges through me. It does. He's right; I feel like a hero.

I grip harder onto Will's hand and smile. I look up at his chestnut eyes and black hair. Then I turn back to the table and chatter starts up again. Only, where was Aiden? When I finish the meal, I head to his room; it's empty. On the bed is a note. "What if he left me?" I think in a panic; but the note doesn't say anything like that.

 Emma, go to the second floor, then go left, and then right. You'll find me there :)

I smile; he is a man of many words. I take the note. When I find the stairs, I take them two at a time as anticipation fills my mind and I wonder what he's doing up there. I go left, to find a long hallway, then right at the end. There's a door marked Roof Access. I go up to find that the whole rooftop covered with candles. They light up the space in a heart-warming glow.

At the end, looking over the edge, is Aiden. "Happy Birthday, Emma," he says, giving me a comforting hug. I hold on. For so long I craved the embrace of someone close, family. Aiden reaches into his pocket and pulls out a tiny box. It has a blue ribbon tied in a perfect bow. I pull off the top to find a necklace. How is this even possible?

It's gold and long; the chain going to just above my belly button. At the end is a framework heart with tiny jewels embedded into the network. Aiden fastens it over my head and I thank him with another hug.

"Thank you, it's beautiful, where did you get it?" I ask, curious.

Aiden smiles, then responds, "When we were at the market, before the attack, I grabbed it from the front. I found the box here and got permission from Darryl to use it."

I look at him. His iris's are sincere. I hold on, wrapping my arms around his shoulder blades, staring up at the nearly full moon that is shining down on us. The stars are bold and bright tonight. They twinkle with possibility.

A small wind blows Aiden's hair to the side. He looks down at me, and smiles. His teeth are perfectly aligned; his lips, framing them artistically. I lean in closer, taking in the scent of his T-shirt, a mix of sweat and cologne. His jawbone is at the perfect angle, making him look tough and fierce. I am unsure whether or not to lean in closer and plant my lips onto his. But he makes the sudden move by leans down, closer to my face. His arms wrap around my waist and then turn up to brace my shoulders. We lean in closer and his lips meet mine with a soft electric feeling. I feel full of emotion, my first kiss. He keeps on holding me tight, our lips together in the bright moonlight.