Chapter 42: The End of the Beginning **Last Chapter**

That evening, as the entire group sits around a massive fire in the middle of the opening, I bring up the WHO. Jeb calls in the night early, heading in before I can bring up the topic. Will, who has improved remarkably, has even managed to come to sit outside for the important meeting.

"Okay, so I've gathered you here to talk about the World Health Organization." Everyone looks confused. "Jeb is headed to Toronto because they have a station there, trying to find a cure."

"But we already have a cure," a series of voices speak out.

"I've had the idea to go there and share our cure but there's only two flaws. I left the vials and note book back at the camp and the WHO is approximately 3500 km away."

This fact gives protest of how we'd get there, on foot, or if by car, where'd we get gas? "This could save everyone, the entire planet. If no one else will go, I'll leave alone. Make your choice if you want to come with me." I look around the group.

The campfire goes silent until Jamie looks up to me, his eyes wide, "Emma, I'll go and help you save the world." He smiles and comes around the circle to sit next to me."

After him, my Dad comes, automatically supporting his children, not wanting to leave them again.

"I'll go. When do we leave?" Aiden raises a hand and walks to our side, as well.

Sadie, Jackson and Will all talk together in a tight knit circle, weighing the odds of survival. "I'll go if you go," I hear Jackson say.

"Well I'm in," Will comes out of the circle and I send my Father to help his recovering body to come join us.

"If Will's going, so am I," Sadie takes Jackson's hand and comes over.

I am relieved. I didn't want to leave anyone behind. "I say that we head for the camp tomorrow to retrieve the vials. Once we're done that, we'll head to Calgary to get supplies and more cars. Get a good night's rest, tomorrow is going to be another new start." With that, one by one, tiny groups trickle out to head in for the night.

I walk up to the cabin and gently knock at the door, still not sure if Jeb is awake or not. "Hello," I hear his gruff voice and I push in on the door which swings open. The room is dark but I can see the shadowy figure of Jeb lying on the couch.

"I just wanted to let you know that we are headed out tomorrow." I hadn't brought up Jeb to the group yet. I still don't know if he's coming or not.

"Where, the WHO?" I nod, trying to be vague. "Well I guess I'll tag along," I don't know what to say to that. What kind of man just leaves after being separated from his brother? His family could still be out there; instead of being nosy, however, I quickly leave, heading for the back of the military truck. The tarp strung over the frame will provide shelter if it rains. I try to squeeze in, but everyone has the same idea to take cover here for the night, so I leave, trying to find somewhere else.

I settle amongst the top of the vehicle where the roof is hard against my back. Through the opening in the canopy, I can see the stars, still shining brightly, never giving up. I suppose that I should do the same. Just keep going, surviving, facing what lies ahead and letting go of what happened in the past.

A loud clatter arises from the side of the vehicle as Aiden climbs up, "I thought I'd find you here," he smiles, joining me at the private spot upon the truck. "I remember, days ago, we were on top of the other truck and we just sat there, staring at the stars," I smile at the memory.

"So do I. I wish that we could just stay here forever. I wish that the biters would go away and rot and never come back," I grip his hand, trying to stay calm from my angry outburst.

"But we can't, this is reality and we just have to fight it. As long as we stay together, we can beat the odds." I turn my head, he's just so good at calming me down. His emotions are kept on track even in the most chaotic situations.

"I know, it's just hard. I just keep imagining what my life could've been, if all of this hadn't happened. I keep telling myself that if we make it to the WHO, then life could return somewhat to normal. Do you think so?" I ask hopefully.

"Emma, I don't think the world will ever be the same. Even if all of this ends, there's going to be corrupt governments and crazed people everywhere. I think that we could make it, though, and until we do, just hold on." I grip his hand harder, staring at his eyes, staring at the sky.

"Aiden," he turns his head, 'You're right," I finally say.

"About what?" "Everything."

"What do you mean?" he still smiles, even when he's confused.

"This is still our world and we have to own it," I say after interpreting his words.

"That's right; we just have to push through. It'll be worth it," his words are wise, spoken out of only his experience of the world.

"I know. I get it," I reflect on his words, wondering how to apply this to my life. Just keep going, kill the biters. Should I just get up, kill, survive, sleep and do it all over again? "I just don't want my life to be like this but at the same time, I do." I share.

"What do you mean Em?" his tone is sincere, full of wonder for my words.

"You see, this is my life. It will always be like this, or come back to this. There isn't anything else, just our group and the biters. It will be hard, but I have to embrace it in order to move forwards. We have to get out of here and save everyone because right now," I remember an old quote, "here's to the future because I am done with the past."