-Prologue-

"Run" Gunshots echoed in the arena filled with smoke and screams of horror as the lavish party turned into a massacre of blood.

"Declan!"

"Go away, run."

"No, I won't leave you-"

"Sylvia don't make me repeat myself twice, get the fuck out of here!" The man speaking had his left arm paralyzed and gushing with blood from a bullet wound as his cerulean irises glared at the petite female crouching infront of him.

This was the closest they have been considering how cold he was to her previously but his words and actions were often contradictory. He said he disliked her but gave his all and always stood behind her like her shadow, protecting and making sure she was okay.

This time too he wanted her to live.

"I will die eitherways, let me just perish with you." In the face of conflict and danger the woman refused the leave the man who pulled her close when footsteps resonated nearby and hid inside a place that was filled with filth.

"Fuck it, she is not here." It was a dingy place behind the electric circuit where Declan held Sylvia in his grasp and loaded his bullets in case they came nearby. Gang wars were common but when such a plunder was before one's eyes it make Declan quite unsure if it truly was done by a rival.

Even mafia had rules.

"Sylvia might be dead, we are identifying the corpses or...she might have escaped." A masked assassin informed his superior to which Sylvia trembled with her face buried in Declan's hold while the male's eyes hardened.

They were not here for a conflict but their sole purpose was to annihilate her.

"We shall continue the search for her." Declan held the princess tightly and hid as blood continued dripping down his body.

Sylvia Dante Sylvester was the oldest child of mafia boss Dante and often represented her father in the subsidiary clans in various meetings, today was also a party that was organized by such a branch where security was thoroughly ensured.

Then what went wrong?

"Incompetent bastards!" When the soldiers were unable to find any clue of his daughter who was either dead or taken away as a hostage, Dante Sylvester felt so much rage.

Sylvia held the highest place in her father's heart since the moment she was born. She who did not even had to lift her fingers all her life to ask for something was pampered and loved to the extent that many wondered if she was going to be declared as the next patriarch and for such a tragedy to befall upon her, his lovely daughter, there must be a rat inside their clan who did it.

"Sylvia, I am coming/"

Three days and three nights, every single corner of the city was searched by the mafia boss himself and finally, he could trace them where he least expected.

Dante was almost on the verge of going crazy when he saw a corner that was inaccessible to the normal eye and looked somewhat unnatural, the cover to the place was soon thrown open with a bang and the first sight he registered was of dangerous blue irises glaring at him with a gun pointed at his head.

"D-Dad? Dad! Its you!" Declan registered Dante's presence and soon his limbs gave way making him fall on the ground.

"Declan! Dad he is-"

"Take him to the hospital right now." The princess swiped the sweat beads on the male's face and could tell that he was barely able to hold up as soldiers took him away to be treated. Tears of helplessness flowed down her irises and were mistaken as tears of fear by her father.

"Don't worry, I will find and kill them all Sylvia." The female rushed to her father and was encased in his stronghold.

How dare anyone lay a hand on his only daughter!

____________________________________________________________

2 months later

Princess of Sylvesters blew the holt soup and fed the male that was staring at her, although he disliked her coming as it paved way for rumors and people wagging their tongues thoughtlessly, she never relented thus at last he bowed his head like a loyal follower and accepted her kindness.

Today she brought wildflowers for she knew he disliked the smell of those artificial roses and arranged his vase before sneaking him a chocolate that he was prohibited to eat for now, not like he ever ate it eitherways, but she did not care at all and brought a cupcake too.

She was so stupid.

But he could never bring himself to hate her kindness.

"Declan, how do you feel?" Sylvia slowly touched his forehead to check his temperature and there were unshed tears in her eyes that she did not allowed to flow freely.

"I am okay princess."

She looked into those eyes that had no emotion and then at his hand and then there was no stopping of those tears as they dribbled down her cheeks freely as she wailed while hiding away her face in her palm.

"I-I am so sorry." The bullet wound was deep and when left untreated for three days had festered like poison thus the doctors had no choice but to operate and surgically remove half of Declan's left arm which was now wrapped up in bandages.

This incident where he valued her life over his made him an amputee, he had no future left after this.

If he would have left her there hiding by herself and prioritized himself...he wouldn't be in such a condition.

"Sylvia, it is not your fault." Previously it was well known that Declan and the princess did not get along with one another for he was so arrogant and she was so stubborn and neither of them knew what it was to back down.

There was almost a love hate relationship between the princess and her personal bodyguard for her considered her spoiled and a person who only knows how to throw a tantrum while she considered him who retired from army to be a cold hearted man who did now know what was to laugh.

"Declan, tomorrow is my wedding." When she raised her head there was some determination in those eyes.

Sylvia informed him with red eyes and the man was hardly able to nod at her. It was difficult for him to see her with someone else but it was always like this- she was the Sylvester Princess and he a mere bodyguard, they were no match for one another. They felt attraction but it was often suppressed under his loyalty to her and Sylvia's determination to bring honor to her father.

"Will you follow me if I get married?"

"No" It wasn't like he did not want to, it was just that he would not be able to for it was his time to get out of mafia. Sure the money and honor would be great, his entire life would be lavish and extravagant from now onwards for he brought Sylvia alive but he would not be able to serve her anymore.

"Declan, am I a bad person?"

"Never."

"Then am I allowed to be selfish for once in my life?"

"You are always selfish." He was so mean but then again when she heard it, it made her laugh a little through tears.

"Do you love me despite the flaws then...?"

There was an extended pause and when the male did not gave an answer, Sylvia gave a sad smile and got up to leave.

"I do."