Daughter

"I will not marry you." The man watched the Sylvester princess with his eyebrow raised before throwing his head back and laughing with such humor that the woman felt embarrassed by her own words.

She knew he cared less if she did or not.

"Sylvia, what is this about?" There was a rigid displeasure in Dante's voice but when one heard it closely it resembled that he wished for that infuriating laughter to stop more than for his daughter to stop sprouting such nonsense.

It was just a night before wedding when Sylvia expressed her wish to talk to both her father and the person who was going to marry her the next day, in secrecy.

"Dad..I-I love someone else-"

"Are you even hearing yourself?"

"I really love Declan, he sacrificed his life for me and there is no one else who would ever do that for me, after you the only person that loves me the most is him dad- "

"Get out." That one word full of authority and command made the female bow down and depart with tears gathering in her eyes. Sylvia was afraid to see her father's anger and disappointment with her but what was worse? It was to simply run away without telling him and betraying his love and trust, she wasn't capable to do that to Dante.

There were only two people present inside the chamber when the female left, both dangerous men who controlled mafia regimes sat in the tense atmosphere.

"Is it because she is your oldest that she is allowed to be so impudent?"

"Mikhail" The name of the Villar heir was called out as a warning and the man smiled as if provoking Dante furthermore.

"Sylvia is my child, if she does not wishes for this marriage... I will never force her." Astonishment and amazement reflected in dark irises as the man smiled in return.

"Doesn't matters...I will marry tomorrow itself." It was a challenge for Dante, he shall not give up his daughter and Mikhail would not cancel the marriage alliance.

"Don't get mistaken, I said I will get married not that your daughter has to become my bride." Dante raised his eyebrow as if only now comprehending what did this devil intended.

"What do you want in return?" For Mikhail, Sylvia wasn't any different than other women from mafia, if the alliance asked him to tie his knot with her then it can be her, in case it wasn't possible then it can be anyone else.

"Tomorrow you must show up with your entire clan at my wedding, your daughter can be excused but you all shall come and attend." For somebody outside mafia this was a kindness bestowed for their were no huge favors asked to break off an old age alliance but for Sylvester and Villars this was a clear indication.

Entire mafia regime knew Mikhail shall be marrying Sylvia, what if suddenly the said bride does not shows up but her entire family with astonishment on their faces come and see the Villar prince marrying another.

If Villar and Sylvester broke off both must suffer but if Sylvester showed up in Mikhail's wedding only Sylvesters shall lose and face humiliation. It was in a way his payback to Dante for breaking off the treaty that was going to benefit both their ambitions.

"Alright." Dante Sylvester who was called the crazy hound of mafia that reeked of bloodlust was someone who did not knew what it was to ever lower his head but seeing him agree so readily make Mikhail pause and chuckle.

If it was Mikhail who told his father that he could not carry out the alliance forged by forefathers, his father would rather have him killed, for in mafia there was no self, one had to carry forward duties designated or they all were replaceable.

One son if found foolish could always be thrown to a side and replaced by another.

"Going to such lengths for her, is it only because she is your blood?"

Sylvia wasn't like all of his other children.

When Dante's wife passed away, his two sons were eight years old, one was four and another was just born, the oldest Sylvia was eleven and took care of her siblings while her father was getting wasted in alcohol.

But that child never blamed him for being absent for she often came to his room and cleaned it personally for he did not allowed any outsiders to malign his late wife's memories. She ate by his side silently to accompany him and made him eat for he had no intentions to do so and often put him into bed when he was passed out from alcohol.

She knew his pain for she shared it with him apart from her own to lose her mother.

"She is my daughter."

"And Gabriel was your son." The entire mafia knew about Gabriel Sylvester who was thrown out of the family for his ways sullied the name of Sylvesters, the good for nothing son who passed his time in brothels and brought new women daily at home, a son that Dante could never tolerate thus he was sent to the outskirts to survive on his own and only come back if he could build his name.

"My sons want something out of me, eyeing the position of patriarch and having their own thoughts, they might have some selfish desire behind pleasing me but my daughter...my daughter has always loved me unconditionally. Without wishing for anything in return she only knew how to give.

Today also she knew well that I might not agree to her decision, that her dreams might shatter but for me she still came and told me the truth. She thought of my honor before her happiness."

"For me they are just the same." When Mikhail stood up to leave, the words stopped him in his tracks.

"When you will have a daughter you will understand what love is, you might dislike the entire world and even hate them to the core but that innocent smile without any malice would make you do foolish things."

"I would never love such a fragile thing that can die anytime with such craziness similar to yours."

"Only time would tell Mikhail."