Chapter eleven

1554 Grenwitch Palace London - The Duke shows his future bride, Westhrope Hall Suffolk

The recently engaged couple, had gone to the King that morning to beg leave of Greenwich Palace so that Charles may show his future bride where they were going to live after they are married officially in a few short weeks. " Of course you may Charles"! Charles thanked his majesty, and they both rode in the Carriage together to Suffolk to see the Hall.
" Charles! When am I to meet your son? " Isabelle asked him as he smiled and kissed the back of her hand gently.
" Soon my dear soon!" Charles confirmed.
" The Queen looked radiant this morning, didn't she?" Isabelle asked.
" Yes, she did!" Charles agreed.
" What's it like the house?" Isabelle asked meekly.
" it's a grand old house. I've been in the Brandon family for as long as I can remember!" Charles replied.
" Will I be with you? In your room"? She asked tentively.
" Of course, my darling! You will be my wife and I will tend your very wish and whim should you need it my love"! Charles declared.
It was a huge leap marrying into a grand family, but Isabelle knew that she would be taught everything by her husband when he was at home.
" Unsurprisingly we won't be spending much time here my love for the King will have us at Court"! Charles told Isabelle.
" But surely the King understands the importance of having family time"! Isabelle countered.
" Of course, but he also must have me at Court as much as he possibly can due to the fact that I am the chief of the privy counsel!" Charles beamed explaining.
" Do you miss it, though .... when you're not here"? Isabelle asked.
" aell of course like every Duke I do like my peace and quiet though there is precious little of that when your at Court balls and parties every night"! Charles explained again.
Since being at Court Isabelle had been subjected to every type of aliment coughs, colds not forgetting that she was nearly killed by Queen Anne.
That had long been behind her now she and Charles were going to be starting a new life together between the three houses they owned.
Sir William Pennington was the Duke's loyal knights and guards.
Though he had been murdered in London in blackfriars church just before the cornonation of Queen Anne.
" The Queen told me something the other morning. I'm sure that his majesty will be thrilled!" Isabelle explained.
" Did she, my dear? What was that? " Charles asked.
" she said that I must wait for the King's official announcement!"! Isabelle explained.
" Isabelle! Is the Queen with child"? Charles asked.
" Yes, she is Charles she is!" Isabelle beamed.
Elsewhere back at Court, the Queen had longed for a long awaited ride out with four of her ladies on horseback they travelled through the Royal forest haunting deer though the Queen fainsave the poor beast.
Meanwhile, the newly engaged couple Charles and Isabelle had entered the town of Suffolk. The folk adored The Duke he was always generous to the poor children that hung on the side of the road.
" It's the Duke!" Someone cried from the crowd outside the coach, the folk rushed to the roadside to see the Duke's coach passing by, Charles tossed a few gold sovereigns at the poor children the looks on their faces was heart-warming Isabelle to see.
" they adore you Charles"! Isabelle smiled, wiping a tear away from her face.
" They deserve some kindness they don't much to eat with things as they are. Cromwell seems to be determined to make the innocent pay ... which I find disgusting!" Charles fumed.
" he's a Lutheran!" Charles replied.
" And you're not? Like my family, I follow my faith as Catholic like you, my dear! " Charles explained.
" we must all be careful, though, my dear! Bishop Gardener is a devout protisdent!" Charles explained again.
" I keep my faith guarded!" Charles explained.