Chapter 15 - Discussion of Berthold turned into Gossip and History Class.

Greengrass manor.

Cygnus Damian Greengrass and his wife Anaesthesia (Anna) Laurel Greengrass nee Warbeck is discussing about the societal pressure they are facing from few of the pureblood families to make a marriage contract with their eldest daughter Daphne Rhea Greengrass, heiress Presumptive of Most Ancient and Most Noble House of Greengrass and their sons or nephews. The major perpetrators who are forcing them are the families known for the Death Eater activity in the first wizarding blood war. May people like the idiot Minister Fudge should have believed all of them are innocent and was acting under imperious curse, but a fool Cygnes is not.

Lord Cygnus Greengrass is a person who harbouring a strong hatred towards Death Eater and supporters of their movement. The reason for the hatred comes from the brutal murder of his own brother George and his family. Cygnus had known that even though George was not a Death Eater he supported them financially. He and George had fought many times regarding his not so open support of Death Eaters. But in the end when he came to realise his mistake it was already late. He ends up paying the price with his and his family's life. Also painted targets on every single member of House Greengrass. Fearing for the life of his pregnant wife Cygnus ended up taking her to Italy and stayed there till the end of war.

But now he was thinking, if only George and his family didn't get murdered in the first Blood war, their son Alexander would have taken the mantle of next lord if situation demands it. And the pair knew their daughter Daphne would have speared from the intense pressure of being Heiress of such a prominent family. Also, he and Anna would have speared from the scorns of the society for not producing a male heir. They both know people always talk about this matter behind their back. The only saving grace is Greengrass family is neither Patriarchal nor matriarchal family. The first born inherit the title no matter what gender. The head only need to provide an heir/heiress. The exception being when the heiress presumptive marries a Lord of similar standing. The title passes to next one. Sometimes the mantle of Lord of family goes to the secondary line altogether. That also means people can't talk about it in their face. Still some the close-minded people see it as an inadequate option as an heir, or some see it as an opportunity to gain the wealth and influence of House Greengrass for themselves.

Cygnus: Anna what happened? Why are acting weirdly?

Anna: Cygnus, we need to make decisions faster. We can't afford to postpone the matter of suitable match for of Daphne any longer. If we didn't make our decision now, our daughter will end up being a sex toy for some junior Death Eaters. She will end up being the wife of heir Nott, Jugson or Gods forbid Crabbe or Goyel. I will consider killing my child if things come to that as a better option.

Cygnus: Anna, I understand your point, I am trying to find a suitable match for her. I don't know what I will do myself if such a fate ever occurs. I can't imagine our daughter marrying into any of the families from either side. But not a single acceptable family is coming forward with a proposal fearing these people either. The proposals coming are either from the lackies of Dumbledore or Death Eaters families.

Hearing Cygnus confection Anaesthesia cried for first time in long time. All pureblood teaching her parents thought since the childhood completely forgotten. Seeing Anna crying thinking about their daughters future Cygnus also for the first time in a while felt helpless. Cygnus can count the times he felt like this in his fingers. Last time was when his brother's family get murdered brutally. He had technically fled Britain leaving their family home in disarray with his pregnant wife. Another time was when his father was in his death bed. Cygnus was just out of Hogwarts at that time and his father fell victim of Dragon Pox.

What they both don't know is their daughter Daphne who were come to inquire about school shopping also caught some bits and pieces of their conversation. But it was enough for Daphne to understand the gravity of the situation. So, without a hesitation she entered the Lord's study talk with her father further and console her mother.