Part 2

you and mary gathered around your kitchen table, the ouija board spread out before you. soft candlelight flickered, casting eerie shadows on the walls.

you hesitated, your two fingers trembling as they hovered above the planchette, "are you sure about this mary? i have a bad feeling."

mary's voice was pure excitement, "we'll be fine y/n, just a couple of questions, ok?"

they placed their fingers lightly on the planchette, their anticipation growing with each passing moment. the room seemed to hold its breath, awaiting their next move.

"is there anyone here with us?" mary asked, her voice confident, waiting for a response from the other side. but as minuted passed by, the ouija board remained still, its surface unyielding to their inquiries.

"maybe it's not going to work, mary." you said with a tinge of disappointment.

mary sighed, defeated and regretful, "i guess you're right. i shouldn't have gotten my hopes up too high."

just as you two were about to lift your hands from the planchette, a sudden chill filled the air, causing both of you to shiver. you exchanged a puzzled look with mary as your attention was drawn back to the ouija board. slowly but surely, the planchette began to move, gliding across the board's surface with an eerie certainty.

your eyes widened, your heart pounding in your chest, "uh mary, it's moving."

"i know," mary replied in disbelief as the planchette stopped over "YES". "oh my god."

"oh my god," you repeated, "that wasn't you?"

"no! was it you?"

you shook your head, "definitely not." with your body scared to the bone, mary let out a laugh, "what's so funny?"

"nothing! nothing." mary waved her free hand, "just, this is going to be so fun."

you sighed, "just, be careful, alright? i don't need my new house to be haunted or something."

mary agreed and then asked again in her confident voice, "who are we speaking to?"

again, your eyes widened in disbelief as the planchette spelled out a name, letter by letter.

H– E– E– S– E– U– N– G.

"heeseung?" mary repeated, her voice filled with confusion, "who's heeseung?"

your brows furrowed, trying to think if you know anyone by that name, "i don't know mary, i've never heard that name before. it could just be a random spirit trying to communicate with us."

mary shrugged and continued, "what do you want, heeseung?"

the planchette moves then, their fingers still atop as it spelled out the next word.

H– E– L– P.

you exchanged concerned glances with your friend across the table. the atmosphere in the kitchen growing heavy and gold with the unexplained presence.

"h-how can we help you?" mary asked the board.

I– N– C– U– B– U– S.

"what the hell's does incubus mean?" you asked your friend.

"isn't that like, a sex demon?" mary said, stifling a laugh.

"a sex demon?" you repeated, tilting your head in confusion.

"yeah, seems like someone's horny in the afterlife." mary jokes, making you bite your lip to stifle your own laugh.

before either of you could speak again again, the planchette started moving, dragging your fingers along with it.

N– A– M– E.

"name?" mary said out loud, "say your name."

"what, why me?"

"because it's your house, and we found this thing upstairs."

you sighed before stating, "y/n."

you expected the planchette to move again so the spirit could reply, but instead the small kitchen window above the sink swung open, letting the wind from outside enter roughly. the cold gust of wind blows out all the candles, plunging your kitchen into darkness besides the lone street lamp outside. a low guttural growl resonated through the air, sending shivers down your spines.

"jesus!" you jumped up, your hands leaving the board as you get up and close the window that was hitting the wall now. mary followed you, but turns on the kitchen light instead. "what was that?"

"i don't know, wind." mary said with a sarcastic tone, "it's fine."

"what? you weren't scared by that?" you asked your friend curiously.

mary shrugged again, "i mean, you felt how rough the wind was, and this house is old. it makes sense that the window would open like that."

you stared at your friend in disbelief, your hand stayed on your chest as you tried to slow your breathing. mary started grabbing her belongings, slipping her bag over her shoulder, oh so chalantly as you felt petrified from the events that occurred only a minute ago.

"so are you taking that thing home?" you asked mary, referring to the board that sits still on the table.

"what, no?" mary replied with a crinkle of her nose.

"but why not? you're the one who likes these kinds of things."

"well yeah, but we found it here. and god knows how long it's been here, i wouldn't want to upset it."

"upset what?" your eyes widened in fear.

mary only laughed at your expression as she came over to you, her hands rubbing your shoulders as you face each other. "y/n, calm down, nothing even happened! we spoke to a spirit for five seconds and then the wind blew open the window. just put the board back in the attic and go to bed."

you sighed at your friend, dreading to go back up into the attic once she's gone.

"i'll see you later, alright?" mary said as she stands on your porch with a smile, "nothing's gonna happen so just enjoy your new house."

you told your friend to have a goodnight before going around and making sure every door and windowwaslocked for the night, keeping all the lights on as you do so. when the time comes for you to put the board in the attic, you closed your eyes and placed it on the closest box to the stairs before turning and bolting down the stairs, slamming the floral door shut behind you. you wished the door would have never opened in the first place as you slide into bed, scared for the first time in your new house.