Part 9

one evening, as halloween approached, you two found yourselves cozying up on the couch, spending the entire day showing heeseung some popular horror movies. it had been weeks of living in isolation with heeseung, the flickering glow of the screen filled up the living room you've been spending the most time in. your fingers were intertwined with his as you both were watching 'Scream'.

heeseung let out an amused huff from beside you as another jumpscare happened on the screen. "i still don't understand how people can find these movies scary." he states in bewilderment.

you chuckle softly, putting your head on his shoulder as you do. "well it's a way to feel scared without any real consequences. like you aren't actually getting chased by a ghost woman."

heeseungs laugh fills the room, the tension of your unique situation momentarily forgotten as you absorb the movie. when the credits started to fill the tv, the room fell into a comfortable silence, and your fingers continued to trace random, gentle patterns onto heeseung's thigh.

"can i ask you something, hee?" you askedhim as he started to find another horror movie to laugh at.

"mhm," he mumbled a yes, eyes trained on the tv.

you took a deep breath, your fingers stilling on his thigh. "how did you become a demon?"

the question hung in the air, and for a moment you thought he hadn't heard you. but heeseung slowly put down the remote he was holding and looked over to you. his eyes held a hint of melancholy, as if your question had flashed multiple memories through his mind all at once.

"it's nothing special of a story, really." he shrugged and sits back into the couch, attention only on you now.

"okay, but i want to hear it." you told him and he rolls his eyes playfully, "please." you whine only for him to laugh.

"fine, but really, it's nothing special, i was selfish, i let my desires control me– which made me hurt the people that i cared for. i betrayed their trust, and let my own pleasure overshadow everything else."

"like what?"

heeseung sighs, "i use to be a musician, and i was in a band."

"a band?" you exclaim in excitement.

"yes, and we were somewhat popular. a couple of people came to our gigs. mostly women." you elbow him and he chuckles but continues, "it's funny, but i'm serious. i used a lot of the women that came to our shows for sex, and then i wouldn't talk to them again. i didn't care if they had boyfriends or husbands or girlfriends or– whatever– because i knew i'd be gone the next day to another city."

"okay, but i don't know how that would make you a demon, a lot of men are fuck boys." you interject with confusion.

heeseung hesitated, "well, i had a friend– he was my best friend– jake. he played guitar in our band. and he had this girlfriend– and i- i don't know."

you place your hand ontop of his, "it's okay heeseung, you can tell me. please."

heeseung sighedagain, but continues, "i was drunk or high a lot and one night, after a show, her and i were in my dressing room, and we– we hooked up." you take in a sharp inhale at his words, "and jake, he walked in."

"what did you do then?"

"i- i wanted to chase after him, but minjeong– his girlfriend– told me to stay and that she'd talk to him. and then i didn't hear anything from them until the next morning and, and–" heeseung sits up, putting his head in his cold hands.