Chapter Twenty: Wanted Unwanted Knowledge

As I worked, Penira finished building a house and came over to talk to me.

"What's that over there?" she asked, pointing to where I defeated Debna. It was near a peninsula.

"That's where I knocked the girl off the edge," I said. "She'll be fine."

"Okay," she said. "But why are there so many flowers."

"Oh, that," I said. "It's where my adoptive parents died."

"Oh."

"So," I said before pausing. I didn't know what to say but was eager to change the subject. "Remember a couple of nights ago?"

"How could I forget?"

"What does it mean?"

"Forget it."

"You just said, 'How cou-'"

"Nothing happened," she interrupted.

"I'm going crazy," I admitted.

"Yeah, nothing happened."

"No, I mean I keep seeing things. Specific numbers of things, always the same numbers, always the same order. Four, nine, seven, and eight."

"ENTER IT IN AS THE PASSCODE!" she yelled as she suddenly turned to me angrily. "CAN'T YOU PIECE ANYTHING TOGETHER?!"

"But the passcode has five digits," I said.

"When does it happen? Maybe there's a pattern." She started to calm down.

"Every time I run out of supplies."

"Zero," she said.

"Oh."

I pulled out the package and entered 04978...

*********************************************************************

Meanwhile, Sev and Debna were becoming good friends. He started talking about me.

"Has he been seeing things lately?" she asked. "Like recurring numbers."

"No," Sev said. "Why?"

"There's a package that I gave him," she explained. "He should know what it is, or find out through recurring numbers. For example, if he wins, he has won. After that, he might see two of an object, then three, then four, then five."

"Okay," Sev said. "Why would that happen??"

"So he can unlock the package. I don't know why he needs to, but I need him to. I just have a feeling..."

"Okay."

This is when one shulker went up while the other stayed to see if they said anything else. They traveled to the End and met up with me. After hearing what happened, Penira and I panicked.

"Shulkers can TALK?" Penira asked. "That makes sense, actually."

"Yeah, and Sev is in danger!" I shouted. Mr. For and Mrs. Fif ran up to us.

"Let's go to them and save them by... saving them, then," Mr. For and Mrs. Fif said simultaneously.

"This way!"

I ran over to the peninsula and jumped. The others followed, fully trusting me. When we landed in the ocean, we could see a hut on the shore. It probably belonged to the people who had lost their house recently. I decided I would visit them later after we saved Sev.

We swiftly swam toward the shore and sped toward our house. Sev and Debna were there.

"What the hell is your problem?" I asked angrily. "Why are you making me see things?"

"I'm just doing what my instincts tell me to do," Debna said. "I dunno. What you're seeing is the passcode."

"I entered it in!"

"What did you find?" Debna seemed interested.

"THE PASSCODE WAS WRONG!"

"What?" Debna asked, confused. "What did you do?"

"I put in the numbers. 04978!"

"Maybe you put it in wrong."

"He put it in right," Penira said. "He put it in really good."

"Yeah," I agreed. "Wait, are we talking about the code still?"

"Maybe you saw them in the wrong order," Debna said.

"You mean it's 04987?" I asked.

That's when I felt dazed. I could see it: My parents dying, my failure to revive them, a picture I have of my birth parents and me with a cliche-like hole in it, and the strange number that I kept thinking of...

08794.

"Did you just flash?" Penira asked.

"What? Why would I flash you guys?" I asked.

"No, I mean- Never mind," Penira said. "I meant to ask if you just saw information from inside your brain."

"Yeah," I said. "The code must be 08794."

"Case closed," Debna said.

"Enter it in," Penira said.

"I left it in the End," I admitted.

"Okay, I don't know what's happening," Sev said. "But I know it's important. You have to get the package."

"We can get speakers," Mr. For and Mrs. Fif said simultaneously.

"Let's go," I said.

Penira and I ran off and two shulkers stayed to secretly spy. Mr. For and Mrs. Fif ran to town.

"I wonder what they were talking about forgetting," Debna said. "Other than the number, I mean."

"Me too," Sev said. "But I might not want to know."

"Yeah. So... thanks for letting me join you. I feel better now."

"Yeah. I'm glad your face isn't broken," Sev said.

"Yeah. I wouldn't want a busted lip."

"That would be painful."

"And I wouldn't be able to suddenly kiss hot guys."

"You do that?"

She suddenly kissed him. "Now I have."

******************************************************************

Meanwhile, I was entering the passcode. The package opened and I saw my birth parents. I saw four dragons in total. One I didn't recognize. Stories of a little girl who just walked up, looking for a new start. A business card for a fashion designer, who helped make my disguise and fix it when it got damaged.

I realized it was her at the house when it was destroyed. She didn't expect me to spot her, so she ran off and quickly blew up the house. She was evil. She would kill anyone who would get near finding out about her true identity. She was not human. I couldn't believe it, but

"Debna's my sister," I said. "She's a dragon..."

One of the shulker spies came up to me and told me what happened.

"My sister is dating your brother," I said. "And she's evil."

"God dammit," Penira said.