Recognizing Presence in the Absence.

The passage of time-pressed heavily on Marinette's shoulders as she navigated through the days that followed their decision to create distance. Each morning unfolded like a heavy curtain rising on a stage where the performance was a delicate balance between maintaining composure and concealing the growing ache within.

As she readied herself for another day, the once-mundane routine now carried an additional burden. The mirror reflected weariness in her eyes, a silent testament to the internal struggle she faced. The weight on her chest seemed to intensify with each passing day, an invisible anchor tethering her to the decision that, while necessary, felt increasingly challenging to uphold.

The familiar tasks of preparing for the day unfolded mechanically, but the effort it took to compose herself became more apparent. The heaviness lingered in the air as she carefully chose each outfit, applied makeup with practiced precision, and adorned herself with a facade that concealed the emotional storm beneath.

Each step outside her door marked the beginning of another day of self-imposed distance. The world around her continued its hustle, unaware of the internal turmoil she carried. Interactions with others were laced with a layer of detachment, a deliberate effort to maintain the prescribed space between her and the rest of the world.

In the weeks that followed, the routine of classes became a bittersweet symphony of missed opportunities and silent exchanges. She couldn't help but feel a flutter of anticipation every time she walked into the classroom they shared. The hope, however, was a fragile thing, easily shattered by the reality that greeted her.

As the door swung open, revealing the familiar rows of desks, her eyes instinctively searched for Damien. There he was, seated at his usual spot, absorbed in his notes. A fleeting moment of anticipation flickered within her—maybe this time he would break the silence, invite her to sit beside him. But the hope was short-lived.

He didn't look up as she entered, and she understood the unspoken agreement they had tacitly formed. He was trying hard to avoid her, and the realization stung. It was wrong of her to harbor such expectations. Swallowing her disappointment, she chose a seat far away from him, maintaining the prescribed distance.

The lecture began, and the professor's words became a distant hum as her attention wavered. Periodically, she couldn't resist stealing glances in his direction when she thought he wouldn't notice. He did the same; it was like they couldn't be together, but the distance was equally unbearable.

Lunchtime arrived, casting a brief intermission in the structured routine of the academy. As she gathered her belongings, the anticipation of catching a glimpse of him during this unstructured break lingered in her thoughts.

However, as the minutes passed, his familiar presence remained conspicuously absent. She glanced at the clock, realizing that he should have returned by now. A subtle worry crept into her mind, but she pushed it away, hoping that he had merely chosen a different place to spend the break.

The lunchtime chatter continued around her, but the absence of his laughter and the empty seat next to hers weighed on her heart. Unbeknownst to her, he had reached the brink, overwhelmed by the emotions stirred amid their self-imposed distance. Unable to endure the internal conflict any longer, he decided to step away momentarily.

Outside the academy walls, he walked away, his footsteps echoing the internal turmoil he faced. The decision to take a brief respite wasn't a breach of their promise to be distant but rather a coping mechanism to navigate the emotional complexity of the situation.

As the remaining classes unfolded, the seat next to her remained vacant, a tangible reminder of his absence. The unspoken understanding between them had been momentarily disrupted, leaving her feeling a profound sadness.