Prologue

Winnie Melbourne

The whispers filled my ears and I listened to their warnings, soft cries in the distance. I closed my eyes, letting the sounds wash over me as I took it all in.

"Traitors.", one of my Shadows whispered. "Traitors amidst your pack."

My upper lip curled to expose my sharp teeth. When I opened my eyes, I was no longer in my office but standing in a dark hallway. The soft cries disappeared and now there was a cruel laugh echoing off the barren walls.

I whirled around, heart pounding in my chest as I narrowed my eyes. Searching the darkness, calling onto the Shadows but frowning as they remained unresponsive.

"The Dark Goddess.", a cruel voice croaked. "You are nothing but a broken female that this world will soon forget about."

I clenched my jaw. "Who are you? Show yourself!"

"I am the beginning and the end. I am the Alpha and the Omega. I am the one you trust the most, Winnie. But I am also the one you hate.", he answers. "You will find out all in due time. I will strike when you least expect it and you will be the one at my mercy."

Snarling, I take a threatening step forward. "You are no Alpha or Omega. You are a coward, hiding in the Shadows. You are no match for me."

Suddenly, a hand flicks out of the darkness. My chest tightens and all air rushes out of my lungs. I collapse, falling to my knees as I clutch my chest and gasp. "You are wrong, Winnie Melbourne. You are no match for me."

The hand disappears and with it the pain. I suck in cold air, gasping for breath. "Parlour tricks. Coward."

He laughs. "Meaningless words. Time is ticking. You can purge the Mountain, but you'll never find me. Goodbye, Winnie. I'll see you real soon."

I rush forward, hand reaching into the darkness and clutching a shirt. I yank the person forward but the hallway dissolves around me and in front of me, their shirt in my hand, is Ezra. I have my claws at his throat.

"Winnie!", he yelps in shock.

I'm breathing heavily as I shove myself away from my mate, staring at my hands in horror. I take a glance around and see the soft lights of my office, the smooth walls lined with filing cabinets and bookshelves.

"He was here.", I croak.

"Who was?", Ezra asks.

"I don't know!", I sob. "I don't know. Ezra, I couldn't see him. He was in the Shadows, and when I tried to move them, I couldn't. They ignored me."

Ezra engulfs me in his arms and holds me tight. "It's okay, Winnie. It's probably nothing."

I wanted to believe his words, but I couldn't. The throbbing in my chest told me it was all real.

I was the Dark Goddess. If this man has powers that rival my own, then he was something much bigger.

"Amos.", I whisper into Ezra'a chest.