Chapter Five

Winnie Melbourne

My feet hit the dirt as Grant drops to the ground next to me, mumbling under his breath as he picks himself up and brushes his clothes off. "A warning would've been nice.", he mutters.

"I did give you a warning. You were just much too slow to process said warning.", I say in a matter-of-fact tone.

Grant growls at me and then faces the large packhouse. "Goddess, I haven't been here for years.", he states, rubbing a hand across his jaw. "The last time I was here was ten years ago, and the memories aren't great."

"What happened?", I ask.

"I killed forty pack members.", he answers with a wince. "In my defence, they had plans on killing me. I was protecting myself."

I shrug and focus back on the packhouse, stepping up the stairs. "Shit happens. People die. It's called life."

Grant follows behind me as I sling the front door open. The noise startles several people who shift and start snarling. I step aside and allow Grant to step in front of me. He releases his dominance and snarls at them. The wolves step back with their tails tucked, surprise lighting up their eyes. They're shocked that their Prime Alpha has come out of hiding.

I smirk as Grant glances at me before releasing my own dominance, forcing the wolves further into submission and shocking them even further. "Shocked?", I muse. "Good. Prime Alpha of the Flat Packs and Prime Alpha of the Mountain in the same place. Can't be good."

A brown wolf in the front whimpers and slinks further away. Grant laughs and then points at him. "Take me to Alpha Grayson. Us three need to have a word.", he commands. The wolf hesitated and Grant barks out his command again, this time sending it with a wave of dominance. "Take me to Alpha Grayson!"

The wolf jumps forward and runs up the stairs, leaving us to chase after him. We find him at two large doors and he claws at one before backing away, still whimpering. Grant pushes the door open and steps into the office while I hang back and crouch in front of the wolf. Gently, I pat his head and smile at him. "You did good. Thank you. You are dismissed."

He licks my hand before looking up at me and whining. I see his wolf's recognition in his eyes that I'm supposed to be his Luna and he jumps forward, brushing his body against my legs. I laugh and motion for him to follow me into the office, which he gladly does.

Grant is already sitting and I join him, facing Alpha Grayson who looks shocked to see me. "Alpha Grayson, we have something to discuss."

He's no longer paying attention to me, but to the wolf sitting at my feet. "What's Isaac doing here?", he asks.

"His name is Isaac? What a handsome name for a handsome wolf.", I coo, petting him. He growls slightly, leaning into my touch.

Alpha Grayson nods slowly. "Yes, that's Isaac. He's a Feral. More wolf than human. He refuses to switch back and he can often become aggressive towards visitors. I'm surprised he took a liking to you. I'm even more surprised that he didn't kill you."

Isaac snarls and then, much to everyone's surprise, there's a cracking of bones. The wolf hunches over as his bones rearrange before locking back in place. Grant stands up, his chair flying backwards while I just sit there with a smirk on my face. Within seconds there's a naked male in front of me. He snarls at Alpha Grayson. "Would never kill Luna. Never hurt her!"

I lean to the side with the smirk still planted on my face and an eyebrow raised. "Refuses to shift back, huh?", I question as I lock eyes with Alpha Grayson.

"Great way to prove me to be a liar, Issac. And she's not your Luna. I rejected her, she accepted it.", he mutters, regret and shame washing over his features.

Isaac snarls again. "Fool! I go with her!"

"Fine. Go with her. Protect her. Please.", Alpha Grayson mutters, clutching his head.

My cocky attitude instantly dissolves as the Alpha groans, clawing at his head. "Alpha Grayson? Are you okay?", I voice.

"No.", he whimpers. "My head hurts so bad."

I'm standing up just as Alpha Grayson's eyes roll back and his head hits his desk. Grant and I are at his side in seconds as Isaac throws the door open before shifting. We lift him up and drag him through the packhouse, following Isaac as he bursts through the front door, throwing shards of wood in all directions.

"Clinic, Isaac! We need a Pack Doctor!", I yell as Isaac swings his either way, slightly confused as to what he was supposed to do.

He nods at me and breaks into a sprint, leaving Grant and I to follow his scent. Alpha Grayson's head falls to the side and I catch a whiff of something on his breath.

"Wolfsbane.", I snarl at Grant. "He's been poisoned."

"Do you know what this means?", Grant asks.

"That his pack is trying to kill him?", I question sarcastically.

"Somebody working for Amos is here.", Grant reveals just as we enter the clinic.

Four doctors rip Alpha Grayson away from me, who's eyes open slightly as he weakly holds up his hand. "Mate.", he whispers.

I press a small kiss to his forehead. "Yes, I know. I have to go. I have to find out who did this to you."

Suddenly his eyes are ablaze with agony and rage. "Raze this pack to the ground.", he snarls before he falls unconscious again.

Stalking out of the clinic, I face the large crowd that gathers outside in concern of their Alpha. My wolf surges forward and takes partial control, pissed that somebody would dare hurt her mate. "I will kill you!", I roar. "Whoever you are, I will kill you!"

Out of the corner of my eye, there's a flash of red. My head snaps towards the color and my eyes focus on green eyes staring back at me before they disappear with an echoing laugh.

"Genevieve.", I snarl.