Chapter Six

Winnie Melbourne

Her scent is still strong in the air, leaving a trail lingering behind. My wolf bursts forward with a roar of rage as my skin disappears and fur replaces it. Our shift is fast and before anybody has any clue what's going on, I'm taking off after Genevieve. The witch smells like burnt oak and dirt, a harder scent to follow in the Flat Packs, but my wolf and I pick it up easily. Clumps of dirt and leaves fly up from the force of my paws propelling me forward at incredible speed as her scent grows stronger. I narrow my eyes as I catch sight of a red cloak billowing behind a running form and force myself faster.

Genevieve may be fast but she's no match for my wolf and I. Within seconds I can make out what she's wearing as I snap at her heels. She hisses as my teeth graze the back of her ankle before she makes a sharp left, leaving me clawing for purchase before I am able to launch forward again. I close the distance between us once more as she slides under a log and jumps back to her feet. Snarling, I jump onto the log and then jump forward. My front paws slam into her shoulder blades and she screams, the sound high pitched and filled with pain as I dig my claws in. Falling forward, I land on top of her, pinning her down with a growl. Pride fills me as my wolf and I catch our breaths, happy that we have finally caught the witch who is trying to ruin our life.

That pride is short lived as the person below me starts laughing, the sound coming out crazed. I slowly step off of them and shift back, keeping an eye on Genevieve. "Your game ends here, witch.", I spit. "You won't be able to hurt me any longer."

Genevieve places her palms flat against the ground and pushes herself up, climbing to her feet. She chuckles once before speaking. "You are a fool, Dark Goddess.", she says.

Turning to face me, I stumble back a step at the female who is no longer Genevieve. With a growl, I snap my jaws in her direction. "Where is Genevieve?"

"Not here.", the female answers, smirking. "She was but alas, you just missed her. Too bad."

Lunging forward, my hand wraps around the female's throat as my other hand grips her hair, yanking her head back. I search her eyes for any sign of Genevieve only to find none. "Tell me where that bitch is or so help me I will-"

"Kill me?", the female cuts off with a laugh. "I do not fear death. I welcome it. Nothing you say will scare me. You can't scare me, Winnie Melbourne. A female who's father was too weak to win a challenege, who's mother hated her and abused her. A female who's mate rejected her and she was far too weak to save two of her other mates. I do not fear weakness. I do not fear you."

Slowly, a feral grin spreads across my face. "You do not fear me, but you will, Annie.", I say, throwing her to the ground. She lands with a sharp crack causing her to yelp and clutch her ribs. "Sweet little Annie, if only your mother could see you now. Too bad she can't since you murdered her. And I am anything but weak. You'll see soon enough."

And with a wave of my hand, the Shadows dart forward and grab her, leaving behind only her echoing scream of terror.