Prologue - Enzo Esposito

I had never seen one. We all just thought they were a myth. Raven Brooks' alternative to a ghost story. Yet, here we were. Chased by this freak of a bird mutant.

"Who's idea was it to go into the forest, again?" I hissed, glaring at Raven, and she knew exactly who it was. However, she shrugged it off and I shook my head, wondering if you can turn back time.

Even though Raven coaxed us into running head-first into the forest, I couldn't be mad. We all just want our friends back. Besides, it at least persuaded my mind to think I was braver than I actually was.

The bird shrieked again to remind us of its presence and we all clapped our hands over our ears as we sprinted around, weaving between the brush and poisonous plants.

It was nearing us and we knew very well that we couldn't outrun a half-human, half-bird creature. It's talons we're clashing against the gravelly pathway as we recognised where we now were. A sign pointing us back from the forest into the town was wrapped in a thicket of vines, but still shone the light to the town's square.

We squeezed our eyes shut when we heard how close it was to snatching us. And here's the fun part, I actually felt it's midnight black, silky feathers brush past my arm.

As a result, it sent a shiver down my spine.

"We will be okay, we won't die." I heard Ivan muttering under his breath to trick himself, but his tone was foreboding yet calming.

As we rounded the alley between the forest trail and town, we were all panting heavily when we reached the suburbs, yet no one dared to stop running. Then we passed a sharp corner and turned onto 'Friendly Court'. The street we all reside from. Eventually, I stopped fast enough for Laiker and Aria to crash into each other so they didn't hit me and Ivan, who had already collided. Raven and Vitya just bent down and put their hands on their knees.

The night was still and the moon illuminated the streets as few cars drove by. We all walked silently now that we knew the creature was lost in the forest.

As scary as the... thing... was, we had to keep our wits together and still had to get home in one piece. I wouldn't be surprised to find that we skipped the next school day.

We all split ways at an intersection to head back to our houses, all shook.

I snuck into my bedroom window, avoiding my father's room so I didn't wake him. Tip-toeing up to my room, I sat on my bed and stared aimlessly at the wall for a few moments.

Tonight was huge and horrifying, but at least we survived.