Chapter 2 - Laiker Hart

My gaze looks away from death-staring Raven as a 'don't tell him I stole it' look, to Enzo who finally remembered to come.

"How come I'm here yet you, the older one, forgot?" Maritza pipes up, earning an elbow to the ribs from Ivan to make her shush. Maritza then glared at him and dramatically stood up with her cup to get a soda refill.

We all are thinking the same thing, so I just say it. "What the heck was the plan in the forest?"

The question isn't directed at anyone specific, but it was still a burning query. The silence was loud for a few seconds, before everyone spoke at once in a muddled voice.

"Well, the plan was to go for it.." Enzo tried to explain. Ivan interrupted, "I'm not sure there was a plan." They looked at each other then Enzo finally nodded.

"So in summary, there was absolutely no plan?" I looked amongst the group whilst they all had the same blank expression. They all took turns nodding their heads and taking a bite of their sushi.

No one knows what to say or how to say it. The awkwardness continued to seep through the silence, however. Finally speaking up, Enzo put down his sushi and began.

"Okay, so even though there was no plan, we can all agree we mapped out what we were going to do, right?"

Crickets. No one answered his definitely not rhetorical question.

He sighed and rested his head on his hand as he shoveled sushi into his mouth silently.

"What are we going to do about the bird mutant?" Maritza asks, sitting next to her brother after her diluted soda refill. When we all exchange the same looks around the table, Vitya shrugs and slurps her orange juice loudly in thought.

Suddenly, she shoots a look at me and Aria. Standing up with great emphasis, she shouts a bit too loudly in a public place,

"I know! We have to catch it! Straight in motion!" The silence is brought back as we all consider it.

"It wouldn't be a bad idea, but what if we get caught?" I ask and she pauses to think. "We just don't muck around." She said, shrugging.

"It's settled then," Maritza muttered, poking at her half-bitten prawn sushi roll. "We meet at our house." Enzo added, looking between us all as we nodded along.

At the end of it, we all have to agree that we are terrified. If this goes wrong somehow, we might be birdfeed. We only have to wait a few hours until 7:00pm, our usual meeting time.

Vitya, Aria and Maritza engage in conversation with Ivan and Enzo looking doubtful. I poke my head around and see Raven who looks concerned.