Chapter 1 - Raven Delany

I rummage through my desk draws. I'll come prepared. I've got every invention we need for tonight. An engineer's dream, some would say. All I need to do now is get past my brother. Sounds easy enough.

I tiptoe down the stairs and scurry to the kitchen only to bump into my older brother. He looks down at me with an eyebrow raised. He folded his arms over his chest.

"Where do you think you're going?" He questions me, his icy blue eyes searching me for answers. Sometimes I feel like he can read me like a book.

"Just meeting my friends at Nigiri Nights." I've learned how to speak to my brother after all these years. Little words and no droning on about 'worthless information'. Just straight facts. He stares at me for a while and walks off. Now's my chance.

I run out the door and climb onto my bike, swinging my tools and inventions bag over the handle of my bike and making my way to Nigiri Nights. I eventually arrive and check my watch.

11:25am. Five minutes early. I lock my bike and grab my things, heading inside. The first people I notice are Laiker and Ivan sitting together on one side of the booth. Laiker waves me over and I sit directly in front of them, on the opposite side.

I notice Maritza run up to me, juggling food and watered down soda. She sits beside me and stuffs her face with food, mumbling.

"Hi.."

"Hello, Maritza- Eww don't speak with your mouth full!" I look away as I see practically the whole contents of her chewed up food. Gross. I turn to my bag and pull out my latest project, a supercharged magnet. Doesn't sound interesting? How it was created was a long story. I begin to muck around with it and look up to Laiker.

"How much longer until the rest of us show up?" She shrugs in response and grabs one of Ivan's sushi rolls when he isn't looking. I stifle a laugh and slowly sip my soda, waiting for everyone to show.