Chapter III

"H-hey there... Barou... was it?" (Y/n) chuckled nervously as the taller boy kept staring at her. She had to admit, although she wasn't scared of many things or people, Barou was one of the few people who scared her.
'The dude is quite a good player... and also very scary on and off the field.' She thought, watching as Barou got up and walked towards her. The teammates who were previously talking to her flinched and moved away as he came closer. (Y/n) was pretty much frozen in her spot as he stood in front of her.

"Funny how we are in the same team, huh?" She spoke up again, trying to make light of the situation. Barou's eyes narrowed even more as he grabbed the collar of her uniform.
"Hey now, don't get handsy-"
Shrieking as the boy tugged her harshly, the girl proceeded to flinch as she felt pain rush through her body. Barou had ended up crashing her forehead into his, leaving red marks on both. The rest of the team watched the interaction in fear and moved away more.

"What's your problem?! Is your head made out of rocks?" (Y/n) glared at Barou as she rubbed her forehead and removed his hand from his collar.
"Consider this as a devine punishment for the humiliation last year, donkey!" Barou yelled back, causing (Y/n) to stare in disbelief.
"Donkey?! Also, what humiliation?!"
"Just because your face is stupid doesn't mean you have to act like it! Don't you remember last years Nationals?!" Barou's glare intensified even more as (Y/n)'s look of disbelief turned into a dumbfounded one.
"Yeah... what about it? You were at the semi-finals, right?"
"At least your brain works."
"Hey!"

"After that loss I suffered, all my school and coach could talk about is you and those 2 friends of yours, and how you guys are better."
"Well, we did end up winning." (Y/n) answered back, which she ended up regretting immediately as Barou gave her a murderous look. He grabbed her collar again.
"So you are stupid and tired of life?"
"Will you stop yelling? How are you pissed at me for winning fair and square?" (Y/n) glared back.
The other guys tried to calm them down, not wanting to witness a fight and/or possible murder.
"That's not the point! I waited a whole year and prepared to humiliate you right back!"
"A whole year?!" (Y/n) asked in disbelief.
"I feel flattered. Do you want a kiss or something?"
Barou blushed at the joking tone and raised his fist.

"Hey! Barou, don't do anything stupid!"
"Can someone please separate them?!"
The duo kept on glaring at each other and pretty much ignored the panic from the other players.
"I should kill you now."
"Doesn't that take up too much brain capacity for you-"
"What is going on here?!"
Both Barou and (Y/n) flinched as they heard a loud, familiar voiced echo through the room. They looked up at the now lit up screen in front of them, where Ego was staring down at the commotion.
"Uh..." (Y/n) muttered as Barou let go of her collar.

"If you two want to act like animals, I will gladly transfer you to the zoo. How does that sound?" Ego asked as the duo blushed in embarrassment and looked down at the ground.
"Sorry..." (Y/n) said as Barou kept quiet. This seemed enough for the man, who sighed and continued speaking.
"Kids... Anyway, all the people you see in the room with you, from now on, are your teammates and rivals. You all will push each other to go higher. I have used my personal judgment to quantity your abilities and rank you. The ranks are those numbers displayed on your uniforms."
(Y/n) blinked and looked at the item Anri had previously given her.
'There it is... I am number 264... not bad!'
"The rankings can go up and down each day, depending on how you perform during training and games." Ego continued.

"The top5 who survive this project will become part of Japan's U-20 . represent the country during the World Cup." This got the attention of most of the players in the room.
'Hmm...'
"Those of you who fail, tho..."
'Will have to go home!' She thought in panic.
"Will not have a right to join the country's team, ever. And their football career will be pretty much over after that."
'Oh yeah... that's bad, too.' (Y/n) thought.
Ego cleared his throat and glanced at all the players.
"Finish up changing, and then you will play a 2 minute game of tag."
The team looked at each other in confusion.