Student Time - Chapter 1

Frank was in the middle of a tedious math class, although his mind traveled far beyond the equations his teacher was explaining. Instead of paying attention to the chalkboard, his mind was immersed in solving the latest case he had cracked. He reviewed every detail in his mind as if it were an unsolved mathematical puzzle. The tranquility of the classroom was abruptly broken when the chalk hit his head, causing laughter and whispers among his classmates.

The teacher, an older man with a mocking look, approached Frank, his eyes filled with sarcasm.

"Hughes, are you paying attention, or do you prefer to daydream?"

Frank, though seemingly apathetic, responded calmly.

"I'm here, sir."

The teacher couldn't help but smile, impressed in spite of himself.

"All right, Hughes. Prove it then. Solve this math problem, please."

Frank approached the chalkboard, looked at the complex problem, and began working on it. His classmates watched with anticipation, some with expressions of disbelief. In a matter of minutes, he had solved the problem in such an elegant way that left everyone stunned.

The teacher, though surprised, smiled with satisfaction.

"Very well, Hughes. You're still a math prodigy, even if your mind seems to be elsewhere."

While returning to his seat, Frank sighed and muttered to himself, "How boring."

However, the dynamics in the classroom that day were unusual. Every teacher seemed to focus on him, waiting for him to make a mistake or be confused at some point. Even his classmates, usually indifferent to his presence, seemed more active and sociable, forming groups around him. Shy girls looked at him with blushes, and the boys appeared more willing to converse.

Frank, always observant, immediately sensed that something strange was happening. Why did everyone seem to suddenly be centered on him? He wasn't the type of person to attract attention in that way, and he felt uncomfortable being in the spotlight.

After the last class of the day, a group of girls timidly approached him, laughing nervously.

"Hey, Frank, do you want to join us at the cafeteria?" one of them asked.

Frank felt puzzled but politely agreed.

"Sure, I don't see why not."

As they walked to the cafeteria, Frank noticed that the girls continued to blush and act nervously. Some asked him random questions, others shared funny stories, but they all seemed to try to keep his attention.

In the cafeteria, a crowd of students gathered around him, and some boys started asking him math questions and riddles. Frank, though flattered by the attention, didn't understand why everyone was so interested in him suddenly.

After lunch, he returned to the classroom, where he noticed an unusual silence. It was unusual because the classroom was usually filled with chatter and laughter. However, when he opened the door, he encountered an unexpected surprise.

His classmates and teachers warmly welcomed him. There were applause, smiles, and congratulations. Frank, surprised, finally remembered: it was his birthday. He had spent so much time lost in his thoughts and puzzles that he had completely forgotten.

His classmates had decorated the classroom with balloons and "Happy Birthday" banners. Some had brought gifts and cakes. The teacher gave him a small gift and wished him a happy birthday with a smile.

Frank, for the first time since attending that school, genuinely smiled.

After the birthday celebration at school, classes continued as usual. Frank was more relaxed and social than usual, enjoying the company of his classmates and sharing laughter and conversations.