Chapter 15 - Life in the Stars

Earth March 2020

It was a few months after the disapperance of Mike and Will and Zoran and El were talking about the disturbing sight they saw in a hotel room in Jakarta 2 weeks ago.  "I can't believe she's gone Zoran.  We didn't speak for over 30 years but I missed her."  El was resting her head on her husband's shoulder with a tear running down on Zoran's shirt.  The two were in Hawaii on their 20th Anniversary.  "I have so much I wanted to tell her."

"I'm sure she would of wanted to hear it also but Max is gone honey.  The good news is she regretted her actions and left us information we needed."  Zoran tried comforting El but wasn't very good at it.  The strike team of Zoran and El found Max dead in a hotel room alone along with a letter addressed to Jane Efta.  The letter had 5 pages of information  and Max's final thoughts on her life and her wishes that she didn't push El away.  "She told us about the final moments of Will and Mike and of Henderson.  I know you wore yourself out looking for Will and Mike and she helped us piece together what happened.  I'm grateful for that information."  Jane was thinking of Max as Zoran spoke.  She wished she would of reached out because Jane would of brought her back into her life like nothing happened.  Why end it like she did?  Jane will never fully know.

Jane nodded at Zoran. She spent months looking for her beloved brother and his husband.  She is glad they have some closure but she wonders where they really are.  Zoran made inquiries to his contacts off world and will find out soon.  Right now she just wants to be held by Zoran. 

Same date on Larchmont 3

Mike was in Will and his shared apartment on the governing world of the Supreme Assembly.  Mike was waiting for Will to get home from his job working for the government as a Intelligence Advisor.  Mike was looking forward to Will being able to retire in two weeks as Will earned retirement.  His retirement isn't due to age or competence but is due to the experiences Will had in his life.  Since Will was an involuntary officer all his life he was considered to have a lifetime of service.  His trauma was beyond what any Assembly citizens are expected to endure so it weighed heavily on his rank, pay and privileges.  He was revered across the whole Assembly as a hero and honorable person.  Now Mike and Will can live any kind of life they want and Mike has some ideas about that.

Mike thought back to over 8 divisions (months) ago as Will saved them from being shredded meat from Lucas's cube.  Mike was happy he was saved but bothered by Will keeping this ability from him.  He needs to know all Will's thoughts and abilities and even added this to their vows or else Mike worries.  The fact Will broke this promise was hard for Mike to come to terms with even though Will apologized many times and even shared his thoughts with Mike via brain transfer.  Mike forgave Will long ago but he is miffed that Will is capable of withholding vital information.  He trusts Will is telling the truth.

Mike remembers waking up in an empty room with metal walls and dim lighting, like a spaceship cargo area would have.  Will was sitting on his lap facing him.  "Are you okay Mike?"  "Yes.  What the heck was that Will?  How did you bring us to wherever this is?  Where are we?"  Will climbed off Mike and started to untie his leg ropes "I'll tell you once I untie you.  You deserve the full truth."  Will worked on freeing Mike from the chair he was tied to.  After a few minutes Mike was free.  He stood up and pulled Will into a bone crushing hug "thanks for saving us."  Will started to sob and wetted Mike's shirt with his tears, but Mike didn't care.  Mike pulled away "now tell me everything about this ability of yours and why you decided to keep this from me."  "Mike...."   The two were interrupted by a door opening "Observer Byers, you are wanted for debriefing.  Please come with us."  Will spoke back "I need to tell my husband something, can you come back later."  The lead officer looked at the two "you have 20 standard minutes, then you have to leave with us."