Chapter 21: Once again

...

Giyuu walks alone through the village as the sun sets waiting for something. For anything.

Meanwhile, somewhere else in the village, Tanjiro happily skips around supposedly with no one else around. People pass him as he walks through the village without a question about the small child. No one can tell that the small child they pass is a demon.

Tanjiro slows down his pace to look around properly. His eyes land on a small toy stand that have a variety of kids toys; from kites to wooden ones. Tanjiro walks over to the stand where an elderly lady stands behind it.

"Ah, hello there young one."

"Hello!"
Tanjiro smiles

The old women smiles at the sight of Tanjiro's own smile. She watches as Tanjiro stands on his tippy-toes, his head just peering over the stand. He views over all the toys and stops on a kokeshi doll; a wooden doll with no arms or legs that symbolizes good luck.

"Oo, can I have that one?"

"Of course, young one."
She nods

The elderly women hands Tanjiro the kokeshi doll and in return he hands her some money. She smiles and he walks away with the doll in hand.

One thing though:

He's been seen.

...

Giyuu had spotted Tanjiro in the corner of his eyes as he started to walk off with the wooden doll in hand.

'Tanjiro!?'
Giyuu thinks.

He quickly pushes past others who block his way and rushes to Tanjiro. Though, he losses sight of him rather quickly due to Tanjiro being small. Giyuu looks around trying to find Tanjiro again. He looks to the left. Nothing. To the right. Nothing.

Giggling.

The sounds of a young child giggles from somewhere, Giyuu looks to see an alley. It may be coming from the alley. He rushes over as soon as he hears it. Upon entering the alley the giggles stop. No one is there.

...

Tanjiro walks through an alley, one separate from the one Giyuu was in. He had walked down that alley giggling and with the wooden doll still in hand. Though, he stops in his tracks at the sound of laughter. Laughter that isn't his.

Tanjiro looks ahead to see two drunks stumbling down the alley with bottles still in hand. Even as a small child he isn't dumb. He knows to avoid people like that, so he does. Tanjiro moves to the side and continues walking trying to mind his own business. But, of course, the two drunks wouldn't make it that easy.

They spot Tanjiro, a lonely child that they don't know is a demon. They give a lopsided smile to each other before one of them walks-more like staggers-towards him.

"Hey there kiddooo~ Hiccup. Wh-what're y-ou doing here?"

"I-I uhm..."
Tanjiro struggles to say something

He takes a step back from the drunk man, who only steps closer. Tanjiro backs up until he can no longer do so as his back presses into the wall of the alleyway. He turns his head away and shuts his eyes tight, his small body starting to shake.

The man chuckles at the sight of Tanjiro cowering away from him. He reaches out to grab hold of the smaller child but then-

Whoosh!

Tanjiro hears what only he can assume is the sound of a blade being swung. Then, blood splatters-Tanjiro flinches and turns his body away more at the feeling of something wet hit his face. He trembles and shrinks into himself. And it's for the best he keeps his eyes closed...

"Ahh! What the hell!?"

"You shouldn't have touched him."

"Huh-!?"
The drunk is cut off

Ear deafening screams echo off the alleyway walls. Tanjiro's eyes snap open at the sound but are almost immediately covered as he's picked up. He looks up to be faced with Akaza.

"It's best if you don't look."
Akaza claimed

He continues to hold Tanjiro in his hands with his back facing whatever is happening behind them. The now terrified and confused baby Tanjiro hides himself in Akaza's chest.

Something heavy hits the ground and the screaming is cut short. Akaza sighs under his breath and grumbles. He turns around now looking upon the scene, he keeps a hand over Tanjiro's eyes.

"You took your time, Kokushibu."

"They didn't deserve an easy death from their idle lives."
Kokushibu states

The two drunks lay lifeless, their bodies no longer recognizable. Their blood coats the wall and ground around them. Akaza looks down and sees the drunk man's hand, that tried touching Tanjiro, on the ground. Kokushibu had cut it off when he tried reaching for him.

Akaza scoffs and kicks it away from him. He looks back up at Kokushibu as he sheaths his blade again.

"Let's just g-"

"Tanjiro!-"
A voice calls out

A very recognizable voice. A familiar one to Tanjiro. The uppermoons glare at the person who had just walked into the alley.

A demon slayer.

.
...

Hello again you fruity people-

Ahem. Anyway, how are you? I'm sorry for not updating again but I've been sick and still am little. But I hope this chapter was alright for you guy's.

Have a nice day.