Chapter 33

The evening sun cast a warm, golden hue over the campus where Mehrab and Hoorain sat down on the grass, a comfortable silence settling between them, broken only by the distant chirping of birds.

Just as a question arises in Mehrab's mind and he turned to Hoorain. "Ek baat puchu?"

(Can I ask you something?)

"Ji?" Hoorain turned back to him.

(Yes?)

"Toh kya tum future mein kisi aur se shadi kar logi?"

(Will you marry someone else in the future?)

Hoorain's expression changed on his question, she looked away.

"Haan!" In low voice, she answered.

(Yes!)

Merhab wasn't expecting an answer on this, specially not her consent, and this shocked him.

"Kar logi shadi? Lekin tum toh Zaryab se pyar karti ho."

(You will? But you love Zaryab.)

Hoorain gazed into the distance, her expression thoughtful. "Haan, karti hoon," she replied, her voice steady and a soft smile on her face. "Lekin Ussey kai zyada pyar main apne parents se karti hoon. Main kabhi nahi chahungi meri wajah se woh pareshaan ho."

(Yes, I do.)

(But I love my parents more. I would never want them to worrying about me.)

Mehrab's heart sank, but he continued, "Toh tum ussey pyar bhi kar logi?"

(Can you love that person?)

He couldn't meet her eyes as he asked, fearing the answer.

Hoorain's breath hitched, her smile fading. There was a palpable tension in the air, Hoorain nodded slowly, her gaze lingering on Mehrab.

Mehrab saw the sadness in her eyes, he saw the truth. It would kill her to move on and love someone else other than Zaryab.

An unspoken understanding between them that they both carried one-sided love for others. Despite the uncertainty, they found solace in each other's company.

•••

Mehrab remembered the strength and selfless love that Hoorain had, Her willingness to sacrifice her own desires for the happiness of her parents inspired him.

•••

"So, you don't love me? Toh rishta kyu bheja?" Anabia managed to ask, still processing Mehrab's words.

(Then why did you send the proposal?)

Mehrab took a deep breath, his voice softer now. "Anabia, jis bhi misunderstanding ki wajah se maine tumse dosti ki, lekin woh dosti genuine thi, woh sab jhoot nahi tha. Jab mujhe haqeeqat maloom hui toh I was hurt and angry because I thought you had deceived me. I regret my harsh actions. I am sorry for the way I behaved that day."

(Anabia, we did become friends because of some misunderstanding, but our friendship was genuine, all of that wasn't a lie.)

"This, still doesn't explain why you want to marry me." Anabia's voice was hard and monotonous.

There was a pause on the line, as if Mehrab was carefully choosing his words. Finally, he replied, "Main tumse iss liye shadi karna chahta hoon kyuki humare beech jo bond tha woh fake nahi tha, meri taraf se genuine tha aur tumhari taraf se bhi main janta hoon, I won't lie, I don't love you, but, I care about you, woh meri galti thi tumhe kuch bhi clear nahi kiya aur ussey maine tumhe hurt kiya, I want to make things right between us."