Chapter 20

"Tum Mehrab se kya baat kar rahi thi?" Anabia asked, as she sat beside Hoorain, earlier where Mehrab was sitting.

(What were you talking to Mehrab?)

"Huh?" Hoorain got startled by her voice and looked at her.

"I just saw Mehrab leaving from here, what were you talking?" Anabia points at the way from where Mehrab just left, and asked once again.

"Nothing." Hoorain shook her head negatively, picking her bag from her side, Hoorain was about to stand up but Anabia's voice stopped her.

"When did you start keeping secrets from me?"

"Matlab? Konse secrets?" Confusingly, Hoorain asked.

(What secrets?)

"Mehrab ke barey mein. Tum hamesha hume kehti ho Mehrab se durr rehne ko but khud unke kareeb ja rahi ho... kahi aisa toh nahi ki..." Anabia left her sentence incomplete intentionally, but Hoorain understood her words very well, her words were enough to hurt her.

(About Mehrab. You always told me to stay away from Mehrab, now you are going close to him. Are you...)

"Shut up, Anu. Aisi koi baat nahi hai. I was just checking up on him." Hoorain could not understand how Anabia even thought of this. Her and Mehrab? This thought was enough to disgust her.

"And why you need to check up on him? You don't even know each other." Anabia could never handle how Mehrab and Hoorain were talking to each other. If she is supposed to stay away from Mehrab then Hoorain should also stay away from him, and if Hoorain was talking to him after everything, this only indicates one thing.

"Tumhara matlab kya hai?" Hoorain asked, frustratedly.

(What do you mean?)

"Matlab saaf hai, tum hume Mehrab se isliye nahi durr kar rahi thi because of Zaryab's feelings, isliye kyuki tum Mehrab ko pasand karti ho."

(What I mean is clear, you didn't want me to stay away from Mehrab because of Zaryab's feelings, but because if your feelings.)

"You... have lost your mind." Hoorain took an exasperation breath out and declared. "Aisa kuch nahi hai."

(There is nothing like this.)

"Then tell me kaisa hai?" Crossing her hand over her chest, Anabia demanded.

(Then tell me what it is.)

Hoorain was silent for few seconds, not knowing what to say, she wasn't even able to understand Anabia was demanding answer from her. At last, she muttered "I don't think I have to tell you anything." And she left, leaving Anabia all alone in her thoughts, which were getting more tangled now.

•••

I can not believe this. Hoorain thought as her eyes started brimming with tears, out of all people, how can Anabia accused her with Mehrab? Her view got blurred due to tears as she walked without looking at the way properly, but end up bumping into someone.

"Ouch!" A soft whimper left her mouth as she rubbed her head.

"Tum theek ho?" Zaryab's voice came as he held her head to look at her forehead but when saw her teary eyes, he got worried.

(Are you okay?)

"Kya hua, Hoori? Tum theek ho? Zyada tezz chot lag gayi kya?" He started rubbing her head and asked.

(What happened, Hoori? Are you okay?)

Hoorain looked at him, as if being in trance by his proximity. Looking at him, as if her tears rushed out more. Scaring Zaryab.