A Man's Routine

There was a man who lived in the city all of his life, and worked in the city all of his life, he has never gone out of the city.

He saw the city as a big concrete jungle, but this jungle served no purpose, with all of its winding paths and roads seeming to go on forever. The traffic is never-ending, like the rivers of one' mind, with people moving with no sense of purpose, like leaves drifting aimlessly in the cold, stale wind.

The man always has the same dull routine: he wakes up to the same old alarm clock buzzing like a dying fly.

*Bizz! * *Bizz! * *Bizz! *

The man wants to stay in bed but knows he must work, must eat the same old food, must live in the old, decayed apartment, and must live on the empty, polluted streets.

If not, where does the man live? The man can't go back to home; home is gone; home was destroyed in a fire, a fire caused by the man's ingratitude. The man couldn't forgive himself for losing his only sense of pride.

The man got up from his withered bed, creaking as if urging him not to leave, but the man drags himself out of bed, seemingly not wanting to face the morning.

He heads to the bathroom, dirty and matted with mold. He showers and brushes his teeth and puts on his clothes—the same clothes he wears to work every day and the same ones he sleeps in—he heads to his job, not before being greeted by the littered ground, the dull gray sky, and the quiet yet loud streets.

The man takes the bus to work. The bus stop itself has been neglected for years now by the city, filled with trash and cigarette buds. The bus arrived, the man got on and it moved.

The bus was the same usual overcrowded bus it is, people were glued to their phones, ignoring gum stains, ripped chairs, and dents on the bus. The man stands and waits for his bus stop in the overcrowded bus, just barely having enough room for himself.

Once the bus arrives at the man's stop, he leaves and heads to his job. His job was simple yet the most mundane: typing his life away at his computer, answering emails, making dull reports, and attending dull meetings. Once the man is done, he goes home by the same bus, to the same apartment, and to the same bed.

However, this rainy day was different, the man was given a day off. A day off? why? The man was confused as to why, he thought he didn't deserve it but didn't question it further.

The man headed back to the bus stop, but just before he did, something caught his attention, it was bright lights, colorful signs, and cheery people. The man was curious about what they were doing.

The man wondered why the people were so cheery in this weather, but before he knew it his body moved on its own as if wanting to know more.

Eventually the man reaches the bright lights, he had never seen so many colors before, seeing the vibrant blues, greens, and reds fill the surroundings around him. It was like being in an oil painting. He felt something he hadn't had before.

What was it?

The man wonders why, before he can understand why, someone yells behind him.

"Hey!", The man turns only to see a young woman. She continues, "Yo, welcome to the color festival! Is this your first time here?"

The man is confused. Someone is talking to me outside of work? The man tried to talk but stumbles on his words, "Well, I-I... I-I mean I'm sorry for this madam, I shall be on my-"

Before he got to finish, the women grabbed his hand, she said, "Don't worry, fella! Tell you what, because it's your first time here. I'll show you around. Trust me it will be fun".

The women took the man all into the festival, what the man was shown shocked him, vibrant colors flew through the air, people laughing, smiling, talking, and dancing all around him, and music that vibrated the ground and through the man's ears. Everyone and everything seeming to give the place here has a life of its own.

"W-Wow!", The man spoke out. He was in awe of this place; he never knew such a place existed in this concrete jungle of his. The woman looked back and saw the man's face in awe and smiled.

"Well, don't you want to see more? Come on, let go!", the women yelled. They went all over the festival, eating, dancing, singing, and laughing all throughout.

Though the festival didn't last for long, but for the man it felt like years to him, the once gray and dull life of the man was now filled with colors and music breeding new life right in front of him.

"Hey," the women say, exhausted by their activities. "You seem to have enjoyed it a lot. Do you want to come back again? It happens here once a week."

"Y-Yes, I would like to go here again."

"Great! See you here next week!" the woman waved as she ran off.

The man returned home, despite the bus ride was the same, the mood was brighter than before. He did his routine, but this time he did it with a smile.

He laid back on his bed and looked around, it was the same, but it was different, it felt brighter. The man wondered why for a bit but didn't bother to answer. He smiled.

The man now at a lighter pace just decided to change his routine just a bit.