New Mouse City, 2023

Gabriella Roquefortini tucked an angel blonde curl behind one perfectly round ear as she looked out at the crowd of journalists and into the flashing cameras. She plastered that cover image-smile on her snout masterfully and tilted her head just so, both to allow the photographers a better angle, and to discreetly examine her reflection in the opposite glass wall to determine if her looks still were to her own liking or not.

She listened to the jumble of words uttered by the newspapermice, and wondered how she was expected to discern even a single question when all of them were talking at the same time. However, she soon gave up on this quest and allowed her focus to waver and her thoughts to drift. Her concerts on Mouse Island had been a success, really. She had nothing to complain about.

It was a loud shriek from the crowd that pulled Miss Roquefortini back to reality. She furrowed her brows slightly as she tried to make sense of the commotion, but these journalists... There were so damn many of them! She finally decided that she had had enough of only seeing a flurry of limbs.

"What is happening?" she spoke up, her voice sounding just as confident and crystal clear as when she performed on stage, despite her dainty appearance.

"One of the reporters has fainted, miss," somebody from the crowd replied.

The singer raised an eyebrow in worry, batting her lush eyelashes. Given the density of the throng in front of her, she didn't see any way to assist with that matter.

"It's Mr. Stilton from The Rodent's Gazette," she heard somebody else utter.

Miss Roquefortini pursed her lips. She was not one for reading newspapers, but even she recognized that name. She let out a deep sigh as she continued to observe the movements of the crowd, sincerely hoping that this was not a bad omen.