New Mouse City, 2014

It was the middle of the night as Geronimo was standing in the waiting hall of Angorat International Airport with baby Benjamin sleeping in his stroller beside him.

Geronimo had gotten the news about Alice's death from Thea, over a phone call that mainly consisted of the latter sobbing and rambling incoherently. Ever since, it felt like time stood still around him, as if he were moving in a different, unreal dimension.

Geronimo looked down at Benjamin, thinking back on these last few days and what it had been like taking care of him: feeding him, holding him, soothing him, and cuddling him in a never-ending cycle. It felt like it wasn't even such a long time ago that he had done the same with Thea. Or, well, perhaps it did. It felt both like it was yesterday, and like it had been in another life.

Soon enough, the automatic doors opposite from Geronimo opened to reveal a group of arriving passengers, with Thea among them. She was dragging her suitcase with one paw while carrying the bag that contained her skis in the other, looking like she had aged at least ten years since she had gone away on that skiing trip.

Geronimo's gaze met hers, and Thea quickened her steps. She placed the bag down on the ground before flinging herself into her brother's arms, holding on for dear life for long moments as they embraced in silence.

***

About an hour later, Thea was sitting on the couch of the small apartment on Whale Island that Geronimo had been renting since he had become a PhD student. She had changed into her pajamas as soon as they had arrived, and now, she was holding Benjamin in her arms, feeding him from a bottle. Feeling the soft fabric of her shirt and pants against her fur, the weight of the baby in her arms, and his warmth felt strangely comforting and anchoring.

Benjamin fell asleep soon after he had had his dinner, and Geronimo and Thea began preparing to go to bed as well. Despite his tumultuous emotions, Geronimo was out like a light. However, a few hours later, he was awakened by loud sobs.

It was not Benjamin, as one would have believed; he rarely cried at night anymore. Instead, the sobs were coming from the room occupied by Thea.

Geronimo spotted his sister curled up in the bed and crying hysterically as he entered.

"It hurts," Thea managed to choke out between sobs as she looked up at her brother with her bloodshot eyes. "It hurts so much. I... I see it happen over and over again every time I close my eyes."

Geronimo quickly stepped closer and gathered her in his arms. He was fighting back tears of his own, and he could only imagine how much worse it was for Thea, who had actually been there and seen it happen.

No words were exchanged between the two siblings; they merely embraced each other and cried together, falling asleep with their limbs intertwined once the flow of their tears had abated.

***

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF ALICE BERNADETTE STILTON

I, Alice Bernadette Stilton, resident of New Mouse City, Mouse Island, being of sound mind, not acting under duress or undue influence, and fully understanding the nature and extent of all my property and of this disposition thereof, do hereby make, publish, and declare this document to be my Last Will and Testament, and hereby revoke any and all other wills and codicils heretofore made by me.

1. Expenses & Taxes

I direct that all my debts, and expenses of my last illness, funeral, and burial, be paid as soon after my death as may be reasonably convenient, and I hereby authorize my Personal Representative to settle and discharge at their discretion any claims made against my estate.