New Mouse City, 2023

It was an exciting event to cover, really. The engineering students from Mouseford Academy had been invited to the museum in New Mouse City to present their research and theses. It should have been easy, jotting down notes to capture the essence of the presentations and the general atmosphere, and yet, all Geronimo could think of was how he felt all shaky and slightly out of breath. He did his best to take deep breaths, but that tingling sensation crept up on him slowly but surely. His vision blurred more and more, until there was nothing left, except for the darkness. The darkness, the silence, and then, suddenly–

"The bloody hell is happening, Stilton?!"

A familiar, high-pitched voice, like a squeal.

Geronimo blinked groggily, and once his vision had become clear enough, he thought that he might just faint again. Having Simon Squealer from The Daily Rat fanning one with that substandard newspaper of his and seeing his snout so close up was no pleasant experience, to say the least.

Geronimo groaned, then gave a shrug in response to Simon's not too sophisticated inquiry. Next, he tried to scramble to his feet, but failed miserably.

Simon grimaced before grabbing hold of Geronimo's arms to keep him upright.

"Easy, Stilton. Wouldn't want you breaking your neck, would we?" he spat out in his usual spiteful manner. "D'ya need anything? Glass of water? A doctor?"

Geronimo swallowed hard, his mouth and throat feeling like a desert. He knew he should be on his guard, given how uncalled for Simon's sudden willingness to help was, but at that moment, he could not care less. He was just so incredibly unwell.

"Water," he therefore croaked.

A few minutes later, both of them were sitting in the cafeteria of the museum, Geronimo sipping at a glass of what he felt was life-saving water, while Simon observed him with his brows furrowed.

"So, Stilton. Is there anyone who should be informed about this?" he finally asked.

Geronimo took his time to swallow the last sip of water. He was more alert now, and hence, more on his watch, determined to remain tight-lipped about the whole incident.

"No, thank you," he answered primly.

Simon raised one brow questioningly.

"So, you plan on running around town right after fainting just like that?" he questioned. "That's a whole new level of stupidity, even for you. So, who to call?" he went on, his facial expression turning contemplative. "How about that busybody of a sister of yours?"

Geronimo felt his patience slowly slipping away. What Simon was hoping to get out of this was beyond him.

"The only good that will do is that I'm going to get my head bitten off," he therefore remarked.

However, it was too late, as Simon was already fiddling with his phone, and a few moments later, a silent click let them know that the line had connected.

"Theodora Stilton from The Rodent's Gazette, how may I help you?" Thea's voice came through, sounding as no-nonsense as usual.

"Dear Theodora Stilton from The Rodent's Gazette," Simon began, enunciating each word clearly, popping the consonants, "This is Simon Squealer from You Know Exactly Where, informing you that your brother here chose to collapse at the science event at the museum a few minutes ago."

"Chose?" Geronimo huffed incredulously.

"And I take it that I'm on speaker?" Thea inquired, and Simon replied in the affirmative.

"Good," Thea stated in her sweetest voice.

However, that was just the calm before the storm. "I swear to Gouda, Geronimo!" her voice boomed through the line with full force, "This isn't the first time that this-"

Thea cut herself off abruptly, but her message had not gone unnoticed by Simon, who raised his brows in curiosity.

Geronimo shrugged internally. Surely, The Daily Rat would not publish an article about his health issues, and there were not many things other than that that Simon could use that information for.

"Anyway," Thea continued somewhat less forcefully, "I'm coming to you. Geronimo, don't you dare move from that spot until I have arrived. And I'm serious. Dead serious."

"Yeah, I had no doubts about that," Geronimo sighed.

Simon, too, felt compelled to join the conversation once more:

"What about me, Miss Theodora?" he asked sarcastically, "Am I allowed to move, or will you dropkick me back through the entrance if I do?"

"You may do as you please, Squealer," Thea huffed, and although her eye roll was not visible through the phone, it was felt keenly from her tone. "Thank you for calling," she also had the decency to add before hanging up.