From: Alice Stilton <alice.stilton@rmail.com>

To: Rainbow <rainbowsnclouds@rmail.com>

Date: August 9, 2007

Subject: Birthday celebration and other updates

Dear Thalia,

I hope you are well. I keep sending these emails, never knowing if you actually read them. I like to keep you updated on what's going on in our lives, though. I guess being able to share my thoughts with you this way makes it a bit easier to bear your absence, despite it being a one-way communication. I still miss you, you know. Plus, I've kept this emailing going for eight years, so why stop now? So, let's jump into the latest events.

I spent the weekend at Grandma and Grandpa's. You know, now that I've lived on campus during my uni years and then moved out to Upstate, spending a few days at home feels even more special. Not to mention having my family celebrate my birthday – as if having lived a certain number of years was an accomplishment of mine. Well, maybe it is, I don't know. But be that as it may, it was a lovely weekend with a memorable birthday celebration. Thea came up with a little joke: she started playing that Smokie song, you know, the one about Alice. I have to admit, her screaming "twenty-four years just waiting for a chance" on top of her lungs was funny, and fitting for the occasion, of course. It's a pity that she felt compelled to involve the lyrics of that other version. I don't even know what she was thinking, singing "Who the fuck is Alice?" over and over with both Grandma and Grandpa there. Grandpa was positively fuming; "Language, Theodora," he told her with his death glare. And Grandma, she was sweet as always, just saying "Now, young lady, that's hardly appropriate" in that way that only she can do.

So, enough about that part; I have more exciting news. Autumn is nearing slowly but surely, and it will bring some changes for both Thea and Geronimo. Thea is starting high school; she got admitted to Curlyfur High! It's crazy how fast time flies by. I mean, it feels like it was just yesterday that she was still so small that I could easily lift her up. And then I haven't even mentioned Geronimo. I can't wrap my head around how he is officially a grown up now (but, yeah, officially, technically, but he is still my little brother; plus, turning eighteen doesn't make one an adult overnight, even though he has always been so responsible and mature). Anyway, guess what! He has gotten a scholarship to Mouseford Academy! He'll be majoring in literature and philosophy. What a kid!

Grandpa and Grandma are also staying busy. I mentioned that Grandpa started this newspaper about half a year ago. For some time, it didn't seem like anything would become of it, but it seems that it's slowly gaining popularity, and he seems quite rejuvenated from having rodents to boss over again. What I'm really happy about, though, is that Grandma is helping him out with it as well, and it seems to me that she is genuinely enjoying it.

As for me, I have gotten a job at Connect – in the IT department, not the public service, obviously. It has gone surprisingly well so far. I'd say that I have settled into my role fairly quickly, and it has all gone well. My colleagues are great, although I didn't know a soul when I started there. It feels good to be sharing my workplace with them, now that I have had time to get to know them better. Or, well, me not knowing anyone at all is not entirely true. There is, in fact, a rat who took some courses with me in uni, and he works in the public service department now. Though, I've never actually spoken to the guy. I think his last name is Squeak or something like that, but that's anybody's guess. I have about as much contact with him now as during the uni years, but I've gotten to know the team otherwise, and I'm thriving.

That is all for now. I really hope that you are doing as well as we are. You're always in my thoughts.

Love,