13

"Now, Stilton One and Stilton Two, I've got the situation under control. You can trust me. I give my rat's word," Simon said as he casually leaned against Geronimo's desk.

It was the day before Thea and Geronimo were meant to leave to go on a family vacation to the Cook Islands along with Benjamin, and, of course, Rupert. They had just wrapped up their discussion with Simon regarding what articles were due and how their responsibilities should be handled while they were away.

"Of course. No doubts there," Thea rolled her eyes playfully.

"Good. Have a good journey, then."

"Thank you," Geronimo muttered, looking quite apprehensive.

"Cheer up, Stilton!" Simon replied, taking notice of the look on his snout, "Or are you such a workaholic that you can't even enjoy a vacation?"

Geronimo opened his mouth to protest, but Simon was faster than him, as the realization hit him at the same moment: "Oh, right! You're afraid of flying."

"Among other things," Geronimo nodded pointedly.

"Ah, come on! You'll survive," the other journalist patted his shoulder.

Just then, Rupert, who had been sitting at Geronimo's feet until then, nudged the palm of the latter's paw. Geronimo praised him for the alert with a smile, but his facial expression turned more concerned quite soon.

"Great," he muttered. "Though, better today than tomorrow."

***

Although this was Rupert's first time flying, he handled the hustle and bustle of the airport, the intricacies of the security check, and the boarding like the professional service dog that he was. Meanwhile, his owner was worrying sick about everything that could go wrong.

Geronimo was sitting there, trembling, and hyperventilating for quite some time after he, Thea, and Benjamin had taken their seats aboard the plane. Thea made some feeble attempts at trying to calm her brother, but honestly, they were both used to Geronimo's inability to handle flying by now, and they accepted the fact that there wasn't a lot that they could do about it.

Rupert, sitting in front of Geronimo's seat, licked his owner's paws as he sensed his distress, and Geronimo smiled down at him in return.

"Yes, you're a good boy," he murmured.

Just then, the plane was jostled by a powerful turbulence, and Geronimo squeezed his eyes shut, gripping Thea's arm and holding onto it for dear life.

"Come on, 'ronimo," Thea patted her brother on the back, whereupon he swallowed hard, then opened his eyes again with a deep breath.

"At least I'm not going to faint with this heart rate," he mumbled, pressing his palm to his chest as he felt his heart racing with fear.

"Yeah, good job, Geronimo," Thea teased. "It's good that you look on the bright side".

***

The plane landed at Rarotonga International Airport after a long flight that had taken more of a toll on some passengers than others. Geronimo decidedly belonged to the first category, so, after reclaiming their luggage and leaving the airport behind, the Stiltons decided to look for a café or a restaurant where they could enjoy a meal and so that those who needed to could recover from the journey.

They had been walking the colorful streets of Avarua for some time when they stumbled upon a cozy-looking café that was to their liking. "The Leap of Faith," the signboard hanging above it read.