New Mouse City, 1999

"So, you really won't tell me where you're going?" Alice whispered in the quietest voice that she could muster.

It was the middle of the night, and Thalia was busy manhandling her rucksack into submission so that she could zip it closed properly despite how overpacked it was.

"No," she shook her head. "And don't ask me why, because I have told you already."

"So, there's no turning back," Alice acknowledged bitterly, her paws resting on her hips. "Do you really know what you are doing? Like, do you even understand what this means? The fact that you choose this, and you choose to likely never see any of us ever again?"

Thalia straightened up after coming out of the battle against her bag as the winner. She fixated Alice with her gaze. The bags under her eyes would have been clearly visible, had the lighting in the room not been so dim.

"Believe me, I do," she gritted out, "And I'd love not having to do this."

"But that's the thing," Alice cried, perhaps a bit more loudly than what would have been suitable considering that everybody else was sleeping. Thalia quickly shushed her by lifting her index finger to her lips and shooting Alice a murderous look.

"Who told you that you have to do this?!" Alice went on, a bit more quietly this time. "And, honestly, Thalia, what even is the problem? Because even if you're expecting, the solution is not running away."

Thalia cast her gaze down as Alice's eyes swept over every inch of her. Alice had been voicing this suspicion of hers ever since her sister had let her know about her plans, but Thalia had remained tight-lipped regarding whether she was right.

"What do you want me to say?" she questioned. "I've already told you that there are several things. I'm knee deep in something, and there are things that I've done...," her voice trailed off, wavering slightly. "Alice, I can't set it right again. I wish I could, but I can't. This will be best for all."

A single tear rolled down Thalia's cheek, and Alice's eyes were equally moist as she stood up from her bed and embraced her sister.

"I still don't understand, but... Alright. Take care, and stay safe, then," she whispered.

Thalia gave her a little nod as they broke the hug. She swallowed hard, trying to prevent more tears from falling. Then, she rolled back the duvet on her bed and grabbed the stuffed toy that had been hidden underneath. It was a pink monkey with a "T" embroidered on its belly. Thalia had had it for as long as she could remember, and it was time to pass it on.

As the two sisters emerged from their room, Thalia walked up to a door further down the corridor and opened it tentatively. She walked up to the bed at the left side of the room first, gingerly placing the stuffed monkey beside the little girl who occupied the bed. Then, she bent down and kissed her on the forehead.

"Goodbye, Thea," she whispered so quietly that it was barely audible.

As she moved on to the other bed, she saw, to her great horror, that Geronimo was sitting up, regarding her groggily while rubbing at his eyes with one paw.

"Thalia?" he whispered.

Now, this did not align with Thalia's plans at all, as she had hoped that both of the little ones would remain asleep as she said her final goodbyes to them. However, she quickly accepted her defeat and gestured for Geronimo to follow her out into the corridor.

"What's happening?" Geronimo asked in a small voice.

Thalia knelt down in front of him, gently grasping his shoulders. "Listen, Geronimo," she began, "I'm... going away, and you won't see me for a long time."