New Mouse City, 2023

"Please, don't die," he told the unconscious journalist as he waited for the call to connect, "Your sister will kill me if you do."

After the paramedics had taken Stilton away, Simon made what felt like the most unpleasant call of his entire life. Much to even his own surprise, he chose to inform Thea Stilton about what had happened but doing it of his own accord did not make it any easier to handle the younger Stilton's no-nonsense attitude that was bordering on frightening, given how Thea had become quite suspicious of Simon's involvement in the events.

Simon shoved his phone back into his pocket and was just about to resume taking notes in an attempt to get something sensible down on paper when he was forced to take the mobile out again, as a slight vibration indicated that someone was calling him.

"Simon!" Sally's voice screeched at the other end of the line as he picked up the phone. "Now's our chance! From what I'm hearing, Stilton has been rushed to the hospital. It's the perfect opportunity to find out what he's hiding. Meet me there!"

"Ngk," Simon produced some nonsensical sound in response, but Sally had already hung up.

"I'm cursed," the journalist then muttered under his breath, whereafter he tucked his phone away and made his way towards the entrance.

A while later, he was already walking down a sterile hospital corridor towards Sally who was staring daggers at him and tapping her foot impatiently.

"What took you so long?" she snapped.

Simon was just about to apologize, but he caught himself at the last second. His next thought was to protest, as frankly, it was beyond him how Sally had gotten there that fast, and, how she had gotten the news to begin with. However, in the end, he settled on taking a calming breath. He had made a difficult but necessary decision while on his way. He had been considering it for a while, but the events of the day had been the last drop.

"I'm not doing this, Sally," he said in as even a voice as he could master.

For a moment, Sally was rendered speechless, but she gathered her bearings quickly. "I beg your pardon?" she raised an eyebrow.

Simon gulped loudly. "I'm not doing this," he repeated.

"I don't think I heard you correctly," Sally scoffed. "Remember what you're risking by disobeying me."

"What I'm risking?" Simon raised his voice slightly. "What I'm risking is a job that has more to do with sneaking about and plotting petty schemes than with actual journalism."

"The audacity!" Sally hissed, and from then on, the exchange escalated into a heated debate, both rodents' voices gaining volume.

"Remember, Simon Squealer, I made you!" Sally bellowed on top of her lungs a few minutes later. "Do you know who you are without The Daily Rat?! A nobody!"

"I don't care!" Simon screamed back. "I quit!"

"Sir, Ma'am!" a booming voice then interrupted them.

The two journalists exchanged a glance before their gazes landed on a nurse who was positively fuming.

"This is a medical facility, and all visitors are expected to behave like civilized rodents," the nurse said, her eyes flashing. "You'll kindly leave the building, or I'll have to call security."

"No, he's with me," a second voice called out from the end of the corridor, whereupon all heads turned in that direction. Standing there was no other than Thea Stilton, nodding towards Simon.

"And you are?" the nurse raised one brow, clearly unimpressed.

"Theodora Stilton from The Rodent's Gazette, sister of Geronimo Stilton who was admitted here about half an hour ago," Thea answered primly.