~7~

Maya Jackson

Was I drunk when the night ended last night? Nope. Will I pretend I was so I wouldn't feel embarrassed every time I looked at Tim? Yep!

I started my day off talking to the rookies.
No one else was here and I could somewhat stand Nolan, not so much Lucy but that's because she's been a little too close to Tim.

I have no right to be jealous. We aren't dating, there are no mutual feelings.

I'm not the dating type, I'm the hook up and go type.

I don't think I've ever had more than a few dates with a hookup before cutting it off.

"So Nolan, how have you been?"

Before he could answer gunshots rang out through the parking lot.

"Everyone get down!!" I shouted as gunshots kept ringing out.

There was only one person injured. I ran over to her, applying pressure to her thigh. She was losing blood insanely fast. I used my other hand and ripped a piece of cloth off my shirt and tied it right above her injury, it's to stop the blood flow.

"I need you to stay lying down, do not move. Help will be on the way soon.." I tried comforting her before I got up and took cover behind a car, shooting back at one of the many men that were in front of us.

I knew this was most definitely planned, but I don't know who or what they are after.

I heard Tim and Grey shouting in the back as everyone tried to figure out the best approach here.

I heard one of the men shout something to the others.

I knew who it was, or well I thought I did.

I wasn't going to get close enough to confirm it.

I snuck around the corner and shot who I assumed to be the leader in his right shoulder.

I heard him scream out, immediately dropping his gun.

All of the others started looking around trying to figure out where he got shot from.

But instead of me giving them time to react I sent shots into their shoulders too.

I always make sure to aim for their dominant hand, it'll make it a lot harder for them to shoot.  But yet I knocked down all ten guys as my teammates ran around trying to help the civilians and get the men inside to be treated before being locked up.

I was still in a daze as I watched everything go on. I never can catch a moment to breathe and relax.

I could tell I was shaking, but I couldn't let the wet tears run out of my eyes. My breathing was sharp and sudden. It felt as though there were a million knives placed against my throat and I was teetering to keep myself still. the oxygen wasn't entering my body fast enough, I couldn't inhale enough before it rushed out of my body. I dropped myself to the floor, making sure my gun was out of the way and turning the safety on. I sat against the food truck as I tried calming my breathing and nerves.

I never expected for work to be so hard. I thought I'd be just fine after all of the things that happened with Aaron, but I guess trauma carries and it all adds up until it's overbearing.

I watched as Tim walked over to me, I tried to make myself appear okay but I knew it was about to fail me. I hadn't cried, but I was hyperventilating. My face had to be red.  I could just blame it on the Los Angeles heat.

"Maya, are you okay." He looked down at me with his arms crossed.

"Yeah I'm alright, I just had to sit down. It got really hot throughout all of that."

"You can't lie to me Maya." He smiled at me before offering me a hand up. I felt like my walls were see through when it came to him. I don't understand why it's him, why he is the one I always find comfort in. The only one I feel safe with.