15

Maya Jackson

As we got out of Tim's car, I grabbed the note and roses and dropped them off on Grey's desk.

We shared the same look, but I had refused to even open it.

Aaron will not ruin my day. I will not let it happen. He can haunt my nightmares and scare me beyond repair, but it will not interfere with my job.

I am here to save and protect people, not act carelessly. These innocent people will not be put in danger due to my inability to keep outside things out of my work.

"Do you want to read the letter now or after work? Either way, I will be opening it now to make sure there are no threats being made at this moment." Grey's face was covered in a look of worry; he was worried what happened before would happen again.

"You can read it now, but I wish to wait until after I'm done working. I cannot let it interfere with my responsibilities." I was picking at my nails and shaking back and forth a little bit.

The room felt so restricting and cold the second the letter landed on his desk. My breathing was becoming more rapid.

His desk is cluttered with important letters and cases, and now on top of those lay the flowers and note.

"Let's get to the bull pin now, and I'll read the note when I'm back in my office, Maya."

I nodded and followed him into the main room.

Just as I thought, everyone was staring at me. All look like worry and fear. As if I were going to just disappear any second.

I stood next to Grey at the front as he spoke.

"Good morning, everyone. Today is going to be a rough day, so please keep an eye out for one another. We all know what Aaron Hugo's looks like, so also watch out for him. He is a highly dangerous individual who is threatening Maya and everyone she is close with. I need you all to be safe out there; I cannot lose anyone to a man like him."

Everyone's eyes were flickering towards me and Grey. Unsure of how to handle this situation without bombarding me with questions and affirming messages that we all knew would just overwhelm me more than anything,.

Grey put us with others, making sure we were not to be alone. Me and Tim were together like always.

Officer Chen had a look of dissatisfaction on her face, knowing that me and Tim were working with one another and she wasn't.

Me and Tim grabbed our equipment and headed towards our shop.

"Maya, you do not have to work today if you don't feel like it." I looked over at him, and I could see the dark circles under his eyes. Knowing he most definitely didn't get much sleep last night,.

The garage felt so dense. Everyone's eyes were on us as I tried to keep cool.

"Tim, I'll be fine. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, and it most likely won't be the last." I gave him a reassuring smile. Even knowing that, I wasn't sure I'd be fine. I was anxious as hell and was looking for any signs of Aaron.

He just gave me a nod. We put the equipment in the trunk. He decided he was going to drive, so I was stuck in the passenger seat.

Today is going to be a long day for everyone.

~~

We had plenty of calls today. Mostly theft, domestic violence, and a few noise complaints.

At least they were not too severe. I don't think I could deal with a death today.

When we arrived back at the LAPD, I made my way to Grey's office.

I knew I had to read that letter, but I was terrified to do so.

"Hey Maya. Are you ready to read the letter?" Grey was trying to lighten the mood by cracking jokes, but nothing could help me feel better in this exact moment.

"I don't really have a choice; I'd rather my anxiety not eat me alive until I finally break and force myself to read it." I gave him a small smile.

He hands me the letter.

Dear Mon Chéri, I find it so inspiring that you really think you could stop me.

Do I have to remind you of where you belong? You know your place, so stay there.

You really don't want your lovely Tim Bradford getting into harm, do you?

You have two days to send me a text. You know the number—the one that I've been using to contact you and your boyfriend.

But don't even try to trace the number; there will be no luck. After all, you already know this.

I can't wait to see you again, my beautiful Mon Chéri.

- Aaron.

I felt my heart stop. Tears slowly ran down my cheeks. Leaving a cold, stinging feeling behind.

I knew I had no choice but to text him back. He's most definitely been following me around, watching me. He knows my routines, where I live, and where I work. What I do on a daily basis.

"Grey. What am I supposed to do? He's going to know if I text him while I'm here. He knows where I live and my basic routine." I was choking on my words, and the tears were streaming harder.

I heard the door open behind me, but I couldn't turn around.

"Maya, it's going to be okay. We will catch him, but first we need to set up a time for you to text him. Preferably with Tim and me being there." He hands me a tissue.

"I don't know. I just want him out of my life. I want to be able to live again without the fear of him just suddenly hurting anyone around me." I wipe my tears with the wipe. The room temperature was now freezing.

It felt as though I was going to freeze to death.

I got up and walked out before Grey could put in another comment.