Chapter 18

I finished cleaning myself in the river, I keep it short because I can't leave Curtis passed out here. He didn't even stirred when I picked him as gently as I could and placed him in my shoulder. This is worrying should I feed him an emerald? Fuck! This stupid period of mine. It's not like I can control my body and ask it to stop giving me a period.

After I placed his unconscious body on our makeshift bed I fed him one emerald, his complexion is much better after consuming the magic jewel. I boiled some water to wipe his cold body with the scraped furs from the outfits he made for me. I don't know if doing this will help but I will try it anyway.

It was almost dark when he started to moan and stir in his sleep. I just finished washing the dishes after my dinner when I saw his sudden movements. I sat near his head and noticed his expression grimacing like he was having a nightmare. He's profusely sweating, I wiped his sweaty body and feel the cold skin of his forehead. If only I know how to help him, frustration won't make the situation better.

I tried to wake him up but it didn't work. I patted his stomach lightly, like my father do whenever I can't fall asleep because of a bad dream. I hummed a tone softly while patting him gently. It seems to work as he gradually stop moving, his face returning to a healthy color.

Thank you father!

I don't know how to take care of other people, I can't even properly take care of myself. Coming into this world changed me, for the better or for worst I don't know, but seeing that I helped Curtis even just a little made me feel useful.

I kissed his forehead gently. Looks like we reversed our role, this time I took care of him. My period seems cooperative with me as I didn't feel any cramps, just the frustration of changing and cleaning my self every hour. It's a relief that Curtis made me  many makeshift pads when I revealed my monthly visit. He expressed his concern about my fertility and ability to get pregnant easily. To be honest, I was scared when I realize the potential that I can be a breeder, but I know I'm not alone anymore in this world, he would protect me as I would protect him.

It was dawn the next day when Curtis completely recovered from my attack, well my defensive move. He didn't speak for a moment when he lifts himself from the furs. Then he roughly tugs at his hair with his claws like he will tear his scalp apart, his teeth clenched together I can hear it loudly clashing against each other, I'm worried they'll break, so I reach for his hands and takes it away from his head. I made him look at my face but he is not meeting my eyes. His expression full of remorse and anger to himself. He is biting his lips hardly that it bled from the pressure.

"Stop biting them you're hurting yourself."

"It was more than I deserved for hurting you. I might as well kill myself!"

Angered with his words I slapped him lightly, his face stunned as he look at me, finally I captured his attention. I rubbed the redness of his skin from my slap, immediately flooded with guilt by my actions. But no, if I didn't do this he will hurt himself more. I don't want him to blame himself again with something he can't control. He already did what he can to prevent it from happening, though it's clear his efforts weren't enough. What I can only do right now is to assure him, and be there for him, remind him that it's not his fault this situation happened. I will make him listen to me.

"Hush. Listen to me, look at me, I'm fine. I wasn't hurt anywhere, you didn't hurt me so don't you dare say that you will kill yourself. Because I will really hate you if you did. It's easy for me to say that this is not your fault, but it's the truth. You already warned me but I didn't think more deeply about the danger of my situation. Partly I was at fault too. Hurting yourself like this breaks my heart, so please stop. This isn't gonna fix the problem okay, Curtis?"

His bottom lip wobbled like he is going to cry at any moment, his eyes glassy with tears. I was stunned at the sight of him for a moment before focusing on the situation at hand. I wiped the blood from his thin lips and brought his face close to mine. Our forehead brushing against each other, our breaths mingling together. He needs this closure, no we both needs this to reassure each other. He closes his eyes, sighing softly like all his fatigue drained from his body.

"It's okay Curtis...it's okay, we're okay."

He regain his composure and slowly leaned away from my hold. He captured my hands that caressing his cheeks and kisses it softly like he was afraid of hurting me. I let him do what he wants if it can make him feel better. After a moment, he spoke with his tone soft and vulnerable.

"I deeply apologize my mate. As soon as I smelled your alluring scent, I lost control of my rationality, that I hurriedly left your side and drown the temptation away by submerging myself in the river. I would never for give myself for leaving and hurting you. Also, please don't blame yourself, an estrous is a blessing, it's a natural occurrence so don't ever apologize for that. It is a good that you stopped me. I don't mind if you hurt me as long as you're safe."

There's something about his words that irked me but I let it slide for now because he needs my comfort. We gradually return into our normalcy as much as we could. He fussed over my well-being like a mother hen. He made sure I'm comfortable with my period, if this is his way of redeeming himself then it's working greatly. He won't let me lift a hand after he knew that I took care of him overnight. Insisting that I should rest and doesn't need to worry about anything. As much as I want that, we are running out of time. There's still so many things to do, to make, and improve.

While we are waiting for my period to pass, I had Curtis started in collecting different fruits he thinks safe to consume. We tried to do lye from relying on my meager brain, but my brain is not braining. I almost wanted to give up making it when I smelled my pungent scent, I wanted to hurl. My hair is fine since he found me a substitute for shampoo. It was dry as the dessert but it's clean and not smelly that's the important part. In the end, I have to bathe in the river everyday using fragrant flowers as soap alternative, though I'll admit I still don't feel clean with this.

Anyway, seeing that my hubby wants to pamper me, I would be dumb to not let him do it. Besides, I badly need one, I don't even do self-care back in Earth so this is my chance. He trimmed my nails clean from its sharp   and filled with shit look to a normal looking nail I used to have when I still have my nail cutter with me. He also tried to massage my back when I experienced cramps. I thanked him by an hour full of passion, with kisses and cuddles of course.

Now that I'm period free for the next weeks, I proposed to discuss the upcoming salt trade. I insisted that we leave early while we still have time. Hunting a collosal would be thrilling, Curtis said that we can hunt those creatures since their territory is near the Beastmen salt trade.

I readily agreed with him, anticipation flooding my body for an adventure.

I have a feeling that I will be using my powers more than ever in this upcoming journey.