chapter fourteen (re-write)

In Memory of Chester Bennington (Lead Singer of Linkin Park and Father of 6.) May You Rest In Peace.  

chapter fourteen: Overwhelmed (Re-written on 07.20.17)

I wasn't sure what to do. I was in shock, I guess. I stood there frozen in complete shock and dread. Pussy was meowing constantly trying to gain my attention. This wasn't good, I thought sourly as I began to dress and brush out my damp hair. I wasn't sure what would happen now...I wasn't mated to any wolf, so the thought that I would have this mark frightened me.

There was a knock on my door.

I put down my brush and went to answer the door. It was Sergio and he looked...upset. "Sergio, is everything alright?" I immediately ask as my thoughts go to the children, "Are the kids alright?" I asked a bit more quickly.

His dark eyes stare at me intently, "Yvette told me about her theory." His voice is hard and it makes me feel guilty? Why would I feel guilty? This wasn't my fault! I didn't ask for this! I shake the thoughts out of my head and look down at my feet with a soft sigh.

"And?" I questioned unsure what to expect.

"May I come in?" Sergio asks a bit more softly. His expression softens and I hope its because of the panicked look on my face.

I nod and hold the door open for him. He steps in and I catch a whiff of his cologne or is it his natural scent? In any case, he smells really good. Not the time, I mumble to myself as I close the door. He stands in the middle of my room with a thoughtful look on his handsome face. I take a seat on my bed as Pussy rubs against Sergio's legs in greeting.

Sergio briefly looks down at my feline and strokes his body once before turning to me, "Do you have the mark?" He asks looking at me with worry.

I turn my head to the side and lift my hair up so he could see the crescent shaped moon. He sucks in a deep breath, "She was right." He says sounding surprised, "This...changes things." He mumbles as he plops down beside me. "Are you alright?" He glances at me.

I nod numbly, "I'm not sure what this mark will bring or what will happen." I answer him truthfully because I know I can trust Sergio. He hasn't given me any reason not to trust him.

"I'm not sure either," He looks frustrated, "But I'll do what I can to accommodate this new finding. It might mean that you'll find your mate soon." He shrugs.

"Does it?" I questioned with a frown.

He shrugs, "I'm not sure, I'm just as confused as you are. There hasn't been a Liulfr in a long time. I certainly wasn't educated on how to handle one." He responds looking at the ground as his shoulders sag forward.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled feeling bad, "It's such shit timing."

He chuckles lightly, "It is but it isn't anything to feel bad about. Liulfr's are considered a gift. A human made to protect werewolves by our Goddess is a good thing. It's just that the situation that you're in makes is confusing. You aren't related to werewolves in any way and you certainly haven't found your mate yet. I'll pull some favors at the Council headquarters and see what advice they could give me." He gives a light shrug.

"You looked rather upset earlier." I pointed out.

"When?" He asked, surprised.

"When I opened the door." I answered.

He ponders something and sighs heavily, "We have visitors coming soon," His voice has lowered and there is a tone of loathing that I hear, "My Father was good friends with him but I don't like him—his name is Viktor and he runs a pack in New York." Sergio explains, "He's coming to see how I'm handling pack business and to see the pups." I watch him expertly and I knew something was off with his words.