chapter twenty one (re-write)

chapter twenty one: kissing death (re-written on 02.09.18)

Sergio wanted me out of the house until Viktor and Delphine were out of the pack territory. So, I offered to take the children out for some hiking in the nearby mountains. I figured getting some fresh air would clear my head and since the pups were with me, I would almost forget about my terrible ordeal I faced earlier.

I parked on a dirt road and the kids flew out of the car with happy cries—Yvette was complaining about how there wasn't any signal in this part of the mountain. I got out of the car as Ariel and Aranel rushed down the side of the hill and down to the flat area void of trees. Diggy and Stevie were right behind them, yelling at them to slow their roll.

Yvette threw her phone in the car with a huff as she closed her door, "Its 2017, you think they would get cell service up on this shit mountain." Yvette grumbled with agitation.

"Life is full of disappoints, kid." I commented with a small smile. The both of us trailed behind watching the younger ones run around laughing and smiling. The greatness of youth was heart-warming and it was made me miss being a child. The smell of pine, dirt, and wood made me feel a lot safer but for some reason, my soul ached for the comfort that Sergio had offered me earlier. At first, I had been freaked out that my body and mind were willingly seeking out Sergio for comfort but I shrugged it off; perhaps it was because Sergio was an Alpha and it was just his Alpha-ness that was giving me comfort?

"I'm glad those fuckers are leaving." Yvette muttered under her breath, "I'm just mad as fuck that that bitch isn't getting any form of punishment for attacking you." The anger that was in the teenagers eyes was almost frightening. Her hands were clenched and her jaw was clenched tightly, I figured it was just the nature of a wolf—possessive over what they thought was theirs.

"Sergio did banish them...he released Viktor's status over Diggy and Stevie." I spoke quietly, not really concern over the lack of punishment towards Delphine. Nothing would stop the non-stop visions of when I woke up to Delphine staring at me in my door-way or when she pinned me down to my bed while laughing and smiling like some fucked up druggie.

"She's lucky..." Yvette hissed as Diggy and Stevie started racing with the girls' looking for cool sticks, "I haven't shifted yet, I would've challenged her and ripped her to shreds." The lustful look for blood in the young werewolf's eyes was concerning to say the least but I was sure this was normal behavior for a young female coming into her shifting month.

"She's older and she has years of training over you." I commented off-handedly.

Despite being in an open field, something felt off. I had the feeling that I wasn't alone with the pups as I had originally thought. There was a shift in the air that had the hairs on my arms standing straight up. The kids' were some distance away from me, Yvette was the only one that was by my side.

We stood at the very edge of the open field, my eyes taking in everything from nearby to the mountains across from us. We were caught in two valleys and though, it wasn't far from the village or the pack house...the feeling that we weren't alone was growing with each second.

I hadn't been paying attention to what Yvette was saying, but I think she felt the change in the air, too. "Rosie?" Yvette mumbled as I began to stride into the open field with haste. My mind was screaming at me to protect the pups' because something was definitely not right.

I called their names with urgency and all four of them responded quickly, they were at my side in an instant. We were in a wide, open field...far from the wooded tree-line from both sides, we were safe, right? My eyes were searching desperately for anything...it couldn't be just me, Yvette felt the shift in the air, too!