The Stars

"Someday, you will be a star. The brightest star."

A young woman with long dark hair, heart-shaped face, expressive brown eyes clutched her hand as she slowed down on her breathing. She felt cold, nervous even, but then excited at the same time. Her palms were sweating as she wiped them on her faded color skinny jeans. Her eyes were glued to the bulletin board in front of her. Her name is in there. In capital bold letters. Headlining the event.

Dara Park - lead actress to play Lady Macbeth in the "Tragedy of Macbeth"

"Good job, Dara! I didn't know you had it in you!"

Someone made that comment but Dara didn't bother to respond. She was still in disbelief. Then, after a few more minutes and congratulatory greetings from the other members of the Theater Club, a grin slowly showed on her face.

Finally. Finally, she's leading a play.

No more supporting roles. Not anymore in the background. She dreams about this validation. She dreams about this attention.

Her mother's words echoed in her head.

"Someday, you will be a star. The brightest star."

This is it. It's finally happening.

༺༻

"You can't stop smiling. Did something good happen?"

Dara looked up to see her raven-haired friend, Kwon Jiyong, standing in front of her. He was a tall guy with a lean but masculine body, effortlessly cool in his white button down shirt with a few buttons undone, his hands tucked in his blue wash down jeans' pockets, and sporting the trendy white peaceminusone NIKE Air shoes on his feet. His dark eyes looked at her with curiosity.

She didn't even notice him approaching. She was sitting on one of the school benches and reading her dialogue, but even though the sad lines, she couldn't stop the grin on her face. She's still on cloud nine.

Her smile widened as she moved to give him space to sit. Jiyong shrugged his shoulders as he sat down. He put down two fanta juice cans on the table and Dara opened one right away.

She then leaned back a little bit after a sip. A smug smile on her face. "Well," she started to answer, "you just happened to be talking to the lead actress of the Theater Club, my friend."

Jiyong raised an eyebrow at that. "Well. That's after four years."

He doesn't look impressed nor, he just doesn't care, but Dara ignores his remarks. She's just very happy right now that even if a bird poops on her head, she won't get mad.

"Let's just say it's the perfect timing before I graduate next spring. A wonderful farewell gift from this humble school." Dara sarcastically referred to her small town community college in her hometown with people of less than 5,000.

"If you say so," Jiyong half-heartedly agreed.

Dara looked at him as if she remembered something. She then got something from her bag and put it on the table. Jiyong scowled at the sight of it. She shrugged. "It's my job to deliver your lunch."

"You eat it," Jiyong demanded.

Dara smirked. "Of course." Then she opened it and took a bite from the sandwich.

Jiyong looked annoyed right away just as she expected. "You should stop taking orders from that woman. It's annoying."

Dara rolled her eyes. "I can't say no to my boss aka that woman aka your mother." She waved the sandwich at him. "Plus it's a free lunch."

Jiyong knew there was no point arguing with her, so he just looked away and ignored her for the duration of their break.

Dara threw the wrapper in the trash bin a few feet away from them, before looking at Jiyong. "How's your day so far?"

Jiyong opened his mouth to answer when the school bell rang signaling the end of the lunch break.

Dara hopped from the bench to stand. "Time to go. See you around." She then gave him a small wave. "Don't be too sulky today." Then she left him.

Jiyong followed Dara with his eyes. It's always been like this. She asks questions about his day just a bit before lunch break is over, but then, she never waits for his answer.

At most times, Dara talks about herself, and she never gives room for another conversation aside when it's about her. And Jiyong...just listens. Maybe it is because he doesn't like talking, and he likes it that Dara doesn't care about him or his life. She didn't ask him personal questions.

Jiyong shrugged as he drank his orange juice, not caring about the fact that he was late for his next class.

--//--//tbc

a/n: Thank you for checking this story. I hope you will give this story a shot. And if you like it, please vote and comment. Thanks <3