Big Rehearsal

Wednesday came fast, and it meant the Big Rehearsal for Dara. She had been looking forward to this, worked extra hard to memorize her lines, and stayed an all-nighter last night to prepare for today and to deliver a spotless performance the audience will be able to see in their lives. It would be outstanding, even if it was only a rehearsal. She even missed lunch due to excitement.

She intentionally missed her last class today too to prepare herself for the play, dressing up as Lady Macbeth and its aesthetic can be time-consuming so she needed the extra time to do it.

In front of the mirror, she twirled, satisfied with her appearance in a floor-length, dirty white medieval dress. The dress boasted a fitted bodice, flowing wide sleeves, and silky fabric adorned with intricate embroidery— befitting its ridiculously high rental rate. The neckline, a modest square, revealed a hint of her cleavage. Her waistline was complemented by a corset, the ensemble lent her the regal air of a royal court lady. She looked both good and fitting for the role.

She was still grinning when a knock interrupted her in the dressing room.

"Yes?" She answered.

A freshman cautiously peeked in from behind the door, revealing a girl with bobbed hair. She offered a hesitant smile and relayed, "Mr. Jin is asking for everyone to gather on the stage."

"Oh," She said as she stood up now.

The freshmen looked at her in awe. "Wow, Ms. Dara. You looked so pretty." She praised sincerely. "Lady Macbeth suits you perfectly."

She smiled in return. "Thanks, Ms...?" She tried to remember the name.

"Minzy." The freshman continued, not a bit offended. "I always admire your dedication to this play. Someday, I'll be as good as you." She said, shyly.

She just smiled as she and Minzy walked toward the center stage. She barely noticed the crowd forming in the middle. The cast dressed for the play too. "So, what role are you playing, Minzy?" Couldn't guess as Minzy was still dressed plainly.

Minzy scratched her head as she shyly answered, "I'm in charge of the stage lights."

She frowned hearing that and about to say something about it when Mr. Jin raised his hand to catch her attention. She nodded as she smiled at Minzy again. "I'll see you around, Minzy." She waved as the freshman waved too and walked towards the other freshmen club members.

"Wow." Mr. Jin said looking at her properly. "I must commend you for bringing your A-game, Ms. Park."

She just bowed as she noticed Jaejoong dressed as Macbeth in the corner, leaning on the wall, his arms over his chest, and a frown on his face.

Before their eyes could meet, Mr. Jin asked for her attention again.

"I know you've been working hard for this play, Ms. Park but..." he hesitantly continued much to everyone within an ear-sight's curiosity. "There was a change in the lineup, per the school's orders." He said, a lump in his throat. He then looked straight into her eyes. "You will no longer play the lead role of Lady Macbeth." He ended, defeatedly.

Confusion and murmurs could be heard from the members. So suddenly. On the supposed, big rehearsal day, too. Why?

"But why?" She asked after the initial shock. Her hand shaking. Is this a prank? Is today April's Fool's Day?

Mr. Jin couldn't meet her eyes anymore. "The school board members wanted the new student to play the lead role as she has more experience and is known in the college theatrics." He sighed. "The board members think it's the right thing to do in the hope of increasing the enrollment for next spring if we can bring this to public attention."