Chapter 1: Cupid Carries a Gun

Scarlett oozed out of its neck like the sweat of a soldier on a forced march through the Sahara. The red stump left behind in place of its head leaked a pool of blood onto the kitchen sink below, strung up by fishing wire and guts like a forgotten shirt left to dry. The body of your wife left as a trophy...as a warning, as the only evidence of the intruder's existence left behind.

She hung naked, wrapped up in the body of a stranger...a man you'd never seen in your life, his body too mangled to be recognized as anything but a man. His skin had been stabled together and hung on the wiring, hanging down a rotten banner across the couple...a banner that read one simple word.

Cheaters.

You were too busy throwing your guts up all over the floor to remember to dial 911, instead, you lingered on that floor, finding yourself on your knees before you knew it. The house was so quiet, empty, a ballroom once full of guests now a silent reminder of times that once were. You were alone in this house, as far as you knew.

You stand and turn, looking over now at the opposite wall caked in dried blood turned brown, the crude ramblings of the killer. Nine letters left behind, the killer's favorite three words. Three words, three words the killer found more meaning in than any other poem or paragraph could ever hold.

Go
To
Sleep

You couldn't recall the last time you had heard those words, only the one time that it actually mattered. When everything shattered like a vase falling from the shelf, after problems compounded one after another into the perfect storm of circumstance...somehow leading you to where you stood.

Alone. But not forgotten. The sole survivor, the one who had got away. The killer, The Killer, had found you, even a decade after this had passed Death had not rested her search, and nothing could ever ready you for the heat around the corner.

You had contingency after contingency, redundancy after redundancy, you were ready for what she had in store, but time had made you forget, even as you tried your hardest to remember. You remembered...remembered the gash across your eye, straight down your cheek-the scar that never healed, the burning of the flames...

You were sure she still thought of you when the scar burned in the middle of the night, sending you into restless fits, and cold sweats even after the fires had faded.

But the ember never truly died...

And so you remembered, and you remembered everything.

Before she was The Killer, she was just your sister in your found family. You were adopted almost as soon as you were dropped into the orphanage, and brought into the relatively loving hands of the Woods family. It was a pretty bumpy road at first, being one of only two males in the house-and not being particularly good with girls beforehand. You struggled to get along with your two new sisters, until a scuffle at a bus stop had made the three of you inseparable.

Your mind skimmed through the happy days you and the two sisters had, the days all blurring together until a fateful morning of a very, very, fateful day. The day the first domino came tumbling down and your home came crashing down afterwards.

The day your names had faded into obscurity and left you with only the most basic of titles. The Killer, the Victims, and you, The Survivor.

Your body shunted itself forwards right back onto your feet once you heard the crash, the familiar sound of the bedroom coat hanger rack falling straight to the floor-a quirk you had yet to get fixed, a quirk that had cost The Killer their life.

You reach down into your waistband instinctively, the silver sheen of your .38 special's steel glinting in the daylight through the window as you creep down the hallway. Pressing your ear to the wall and inching up to the door, which lay open just a crack, letting a glimpse of what was going on in that room into your field of view.